Looking to get my 1st MBP 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by POZEST, Feb 28, 2012.

1. POZEST macrumors newbie

I'm a newbie to the forum and a newbie to buying apple computers.

I only in the last few years bought an Ipod and most recently 3 iphones (one for my Gf & the 3gs for me which broke when it swan dived off a balcony, and most recently my 4S).

I been happy with my apple products and now that I need a new lap top am seriously considering a Mac Book pro 15".

I currently have a 15" (model number ??) HP laptop. It worked great when I first got it, now its a bit slow and I plan to give it to my GF.

Logging onto the apple website, I selected the 15" 2.2Ghz Model.

As I progressed through the check out phases (to just feel it out) I noticed a few options for more dollars:

2.5GHZ processor for ($250 more)

8GB of Ram over the standard 4GB of RAM for ($200 more)

Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display (Add $100 more ) OR
    Hi REs AntiGlare Dispaly (Add $150 more).

I can see myself willingly paying the extra cash for more RAM and better resolution.

My questions are:

Should I get the Hi-Res glossy ANTI-Glare or just the Hi-Res Glossy Display?
    Should I pay the extra $250 to get the 2.5Ghz over the 2.2GHz chip? (would I even notice the difference?)

Should I wait a few more months (if anyone knows) of a new series of Mac Book Pros coming out?

My lap top is mainly used for casual internet surfing at Starbucks, amateur Photoshop Editing, and amateur music editing, and I now want to start making amateur Youtube videos with music. Said videos would be 90 seconds max I figure. but it would be nice to know I have the power to make longer videos (say 2.5 to 5minutes) to even 30 minutes.

I'd also like to record video game sessions I may have online with my PS3 to also post those online (not sure If I will be doing that for sure).

Thanks, and let me know if more information is needed.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Buy your own 8GB RAM kit. You'll save a bundle!

3. simsaladimbamba

Don't buy RAM from Apple, as you can get 8 GB RAM for less than 50 USD and 16 GB RAM for less than 120 USD from Newegg or other sources.
    The 2.2 GHz model suffices your computational needs, no need to spend 250 USD for a negligible speed bump you won't notice.
    As for Anti Glare vs Glossy, it is up to you. I prefer Anti Glare, as there is no glare even in bright spaces.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find hundreds of threads about glossy vs. antig-lare:
    [​IMG]

And here is a compilation of valuable information, that should be looked at if you want to learn more about Mac OS X:

4. Jb07 macrumors 6502

I agree with the other people, do not buy RAM from Apple. You can get it cheaper pretty much anywhere else. With what you do, the 2.5Ghz processor is unneeded. Stick with the 2.2. As for screens, I would go with the Hi-Res Anti-Glare. They have better color reproduction and (obviously) have less glare. If you want richer colors, then Hi-Res Glossy.

5. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

well u have a bit of incorrect info

there r 2 models one with a 2.2ghz and one with a 2.4ghz the one with a 2.4 is upgradable to 2.5ghz for 250 and starts at 2200 but also has a better graphics card which one do you want?

ram you should buy yourself which will save over hundreds of dollars and maybe even buy 16gb of 8gb ram sticks

the high res screen is worth it but the anti vs matte is personal opinion

a lot of people don't know this either that the mnatte isn't a glass screen but a plastic sheet

the anti is more durable and much more beautiful