Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clemsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2014
Hi guys,

I recently returned my Macbook Air (i7/8gb/128) 13 inch because the HD was too small for me. Now as I am waiting for the refund, the same spec air with a 256 ssd is roughly 1.5k. Thats when I noticed the Macbook Pro Retina, specifically i5 2.6/8gb/256/13 inch for 1.75k.

My needs are as follows from most used to the least: word docs, movies and tv shows, web browsing (mail etc) and gopro videos. Not very intensive stuff, and you may ask why not get the base model?

Obvious reason is I hope to use this machine till its dying breath, so a good 5 years or so. Especially with the many OS updates in the future.

Portability and battery life isnt too much of an issue since there are ports at most places I go.

So I am just wondering if the extra 200 is worth the retina display and small bumps in speed?

Or should I just stick with the air? (I did read another post from someone else saying "would you want to have an air while in a few years time most laptops will have retina display or the equivalent display?")

Would definitely love some help! Just dont know which one of the two to get!

Cheers

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I think the Air would suit you just fine, but if you want it for 5+ years, I'd get the Retina just because most computers will certainly have high res screens in 5 years and it'll have a little more power.

Or you can wait for the rumored 12" Retina-Air hybrid for both portability and the Retina screen, but who knows if that'll actually happen.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Every macbook will be able to do what you want to do for at least another 5years.

The macbooks you are eyeballing and the one you bought are weirdly speced for your needs.

Why the cpu bump? Why the extra ram? If you know your budget and needs, then why not max out the hd first?

You can get a macbook air with 256ssd brand new for 1099€ (Incl. tax)
My local electronic store just had an offer where they give you an extra 150€ voucher on top.
That makes 950€.

But if you absolutely need the retina screen, then the 2.4/8/256 for ~1350€ will be the best bang for the buck.

pk314

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
Hi guys,

I recently returned my Macbook Air (i7/8gb/128) 13 inch because the HD was too small for me. Now as I am waiting for the refund, the same spec air with a 256 ssd is roughly 1.5k. Thats when I noticed the Macbook Pro Retina, specifically i5 2.6/8gb/256/13 inch for 1.75k.

My needs are as follows from most used to the least: word docs, movies and tv shows, web browsing (mail etc) and gopro videos. Not very intensive stuff, and you may ask why not get the base model?

Obvious reason is I hope to use this machine till its dying breath, so a good 5 years or so. Especially with the many OS updates in the future.

Portability and battery life isnt too much of an issue since there are ports at most places I go.

So I am just wondering if the extra 200 is worth the retina display and small bumps in speed?

Or should I just stick with the air? (I did read another post from someone else saying "would you want to have an air while in a few years time most laptops will have retina display or the equivalent display?")

Would definitely love some help! Just dont know which one of the two to get!

Cheers

I just got the 13in rMBP 2.4/8gb/256gb yesterday since I got managed to get a good deal and although this is my first Mac ever, I'm loving it so far! I was stuck between the 13in Pro and 13in Air but decided to go with the Pro because of its display and HDMI port. It's so fast and I don't notice the UI lag for the Retina that some people are mentioning plus the Retina display is so sharp that it was worth the price for me.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Is the mentioned UI lag still there?

My rMBP doesn't exhibit any lag at all. Just bought it last week. Specs are in my sig.

As for what to get? The MBA is a damned attractive little package but IMO the fairly trivial cost difference makes a the pro a better value. The screen is quite a bit nicer on the MBP and it has more horsepower too. The ONLY reason I'd ever get an MBA would be if I needed the extremely versatile portability or battery life. My laptop stays home most of time and the extra pow far outweighed the portability.

To me, my iPad Air and rMBP are the hot setup to cover your bases. Those devices and my trusty Tracfone do me just fine. :D

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
My rMBP doesn't exhibit any lag at all. Just bought it last week. Specs are in my sig.

As for what to get? The MBA is a damned attractive little package but IMO the fairly trivial cost difference makes a the pro a better value. The screen is quite a bit nicer on the MBP and it has more horsepower too. The ONLY reason I'd ever get an MBA would be if I needed the extremely versatile portability or battery life. My laptop stays home most of time and the extra pow far outweighed the portability.

To me, my iPad Air and rMBP are the hot setup to cover your bases. Those devices and my trusty Tracfone do me just fine. :D

Is it the 13" MBPr you own or the 15"?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Is the mentioned UI lag still there?
There is a scroll stutter/lag on all rmbps I have observed.
At first I suspected it was only mine until i went into the apple store and they all had it.
you can pretty much get rid of it, by using an app like switchresx and change to a non-hidpi resolution.

I am using a non-hidpi resolution at this very moment and everything seems noticeably smoother.

The retina screen is nice, if you do media work like photo editing, but for daily use it is overrated imo.

Maybe I am just to accustomed to pixelated screens after looking at them for quater a century. :)

clemsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2014
There is a scroll stutter/lag on all rmbps I have observed.
At first I suspected it was only mine until i went into the apple store and they all had it.
you can pretty much get rid of it, by using an app like switchresx and change to a non-hidpi resolution.

I am using a non-hidpi resolution at this very moment and everything seems noticeably smoother.

The retina screen is nice, if you do media work like photo editing, but for daily use it is overrated imo.

Maybe I am just to accustomed to pixelated screens after looking at them for quater a century. :)

To be honest, the only reason I'd consider the Pro is for the retina display, because I believe that both machines will be able to last me the expected time frame.

It just seems that the retina is quite highly regarded, but with all these UI issues and "turning off retina", then would it be worth it?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
To be honest, the only reason I'd consider the Pro is for the retina display, because I believe that both machines will be able to last me the expected time frame.

It just seems that the retina is quite highly regarded, but with all these UI issues and "turning off retina", then would it be worth it?
I wouldnt call it an UI issue. Its really not that bad, just noticeable compared to the mba.

The best way is to test it yourself. Go to the apple store and use the mba and rmbp
See what you like best.

clemsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2014
I wouldnt call it an UI issue. Its really not that bad, just noticeable compared to the mba.

The best way is to test it yourself. Go to the apple store and use the mba and rmbp
See what you like best.

Is the lag issue because users are using the macbook pro in higher resolutions?

Is it smooth when using "best for" setting?

clemsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2014
So even if I use the rMBP at the "best for retina display" setting, I will get some lag? That's a bit disappointing.

I have seen the difference between the two displays (MBA and rMBP), and the sharpness of like the icons in the top bar is quite astounding.

I guess if you research hard enough, both will have their faults.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
What is this lag you speak of? (I don't feel like searching the forums... :p )

I have never experienced it with my rMBP that I am aware of.

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
I use my 15" at the scaling between "Best (Retina)" and "More Space", 3360x2100.
I notice no UI lag, there again I'm not looking for faults, what works for me works for me. That's my philosophy.

Barney

kyriostrife

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
I use my 15" at the scaling between "Best (Retina)" and "More Space", 3360x2100.
I notice no UI lag, there again I'm not looking for faults, what works for me works for me. That's my philosophy.

Barney

I would definitely take more space over the retina. It's mainly why I don't want the air because of the lack of resolutions in general. I guess it would still be nice to know that ordering a retina MacBook Pro would yield a functioning product without lag in scrolling. Does the lag get worse in taxing programs, such as final cut?

sinoka56

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
they say that using rdm at 1440x900 non-HiDPi removes the lag though it removes the retina but it's still better than mba screen.

is it also true that the retina will run faster since it won't render retina and have better battery life?

kyriostrife

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
they say that using rdm at 1440x900 non-HiDPi removes the lag though it removes the retina but it's still better than mba screen.

is it also true that the retina will run faster since it won't render retina and have better battery life?

Then you're basically not buying it for the retina screen. All other specs aside, it defeats the purpose don't you think?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
At 1440x900 non-HiDPi the mba and rmbp look pretty much the same.

There is really no point arguing about the scroll lag or which macbook runs faster.

Don't trust peoples opinion on internet forums. Go and try it out yourself!

kyriostrife

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
At 1440x900 non-HiDPi the mba and rmbp look pretty much the same.

There is really no point arguing about the scroll lag or which macbook runs faster.

Don't trust peoples opinion on internet forums. Go and try it out yourself!

They really do look the same side by side in store at that resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.