Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple last week discontinued the original HomePod, marking just over three years on the market for the full-size smart speaker. If you're looking to purchase the larger HomePod before it's completely gone, there are still some options online today.

homepod-feature-blue2.jpg

The biggest retailer with remaining stock on the HomePod is Apple itself, which has the White HomePod for $299.00 on its website. Space Gray is no longer available.

At Best Buy you can order the White HomePod for $299.99 with both pickup and delivery options. Space Gray is also available at $299.99, although it appears limited to local pickup.

Next, TigerDirect has stock on both original HomePod options, with same-day shipping available as well. TigerDirect is selling the HomePod at $299.00.

Another third-party retailer with HomePod stock is Expercom, which has both the White and Space Gray options at $299.00 available to ship today.

Lastly, DataVision has the White HomePod in stock, but it's selling the speaker at a high price of $314.00, so it'll be best to shop at some of the other retailers first.

The HomePod debuted at a price of $350, but eventually Apple permanently marked the price down to $299. Over the past few years, we did see the HomePod drop down to between $150 and $200 during holiday sales, with $199 being one of the most popular discount prices since 2018.

Of course, now that it's discontinued, we'll never see these sale prices again and you'll have to pay full price (or more) if you really want to purchase the original HomePod in 2021.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Looking to Grab a HomePod Before They're Gone? These Retailers Still Have Stock

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Trips

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Maybe if you want to put it in a closet and try to sell it in 30 years as an antique - otherwise, why??

Reactions: Huck

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Glad I held out and never bought one.

This was my complaint about a combo device from the beginning, the speaker will outlast the "smarts". Aside from HP being discontinued there would have come a point where Apple would stop providing updates and its usefulness would have diminished from there. Now that Apple is killing off the original you can kiss any additional functionality goodbye.

I'll stick with a quality set of speakers and either hardwire, bluetooth or airplay into them as the need requires and let my phone, iPad or mac be the disposable piece.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I still don't understand why these didn't have a line in. I was ready to spring for two of these to use as TV speakers when they came out. Then the Apple Store guy told me I couldn't do that.
To match the "wireless future" that Apple wanted, and nudge people to get Apple TV :D

• Sad
Reactions: Shirasaki

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
Probably not a good idea getting this now, unless it's heavily discounted. When Apple discontinue an accessory, that means the support on it might be gone soon. The original HomePod uses the A8, which is way outdated at this point. Apple probably cannot wait to drop support for it.
Yeah they said only support for apple care - which means 2 years

• Disagree
Reactions: erniefairchild1

sflagel

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Such a shame. I don't know of any product that has a better sound at this price. The fact that it also seamlessly integrates with the Airplay 2 network and Siri so that you can truly control the music in any room in our house, from any room in your house, with your voice or the Home App, is icing on the cake.
$ 300 for this speaker is nothing, this company sells little earsticks for $ 200 and headphones for $ 550.
What speaker for $ 300 sounds better?
All it needed was Bluetooth.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
we should also take note that Apple had less than 5% of the smart speaker market and I think they’ve learnt a lesson from that. The money is in cheaper more capable products and that’s where Apple are going

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Such a shame. I don't know of any product that has a better sound at this price. The fact that it also seamlessly integrates with the Airplay 2 network and Siri so that you can truly control the music in any room in our house, from any room in your house, with your voice or the Home App, is icing on the cake.
$ 300 for this speaker is nothing, this company sells little earsticks for $ 200 and headphones for $ 550.
What speaker for $ 300 sounds better?
All it needed was Bluetooth.
Sound could be the best on earth, its functionality is still a joke.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
we should also take note that Apple had less than 5% of the smart speaker market and I think they’ve learnt a lesson from that. The money is in cheaper more capable products and that’s where Apple are going
And this is why I bought another HomePod when I learned Apple was discontinuing them. While I own 3 Mini's and the sound is "good", the HomePod - Big, sounds way better. I own 3 of them as well. I wanted to enjoy better sounds/bass and can get one new for $150 - why not!

I anticipate Apple making a new version at some point but it's not going to have the same quality as previous. It's going to be a cheaper version. Will it be newer and better? Probably. Still cheaper though. :)

I don't need line in, I use Apple Music, I am happy with Siri and I can have music in every corner of my home. Where Apple made the mistake, $399 for speaker. $199 out of the gate would have changed the game.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.