Looking to improve programming

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Cabbit, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Hey folks i have been dabbleing with programing for a while but never with frameworks and was wondering what's best to learn between PHP Zend and Ruby on Rails.
    And perhaps a few good up to date books and video tutorials, both the one i watched on the ruby on rails site and zend site i followed religiously only to discover that the frameworks had changed to a point that the tutorials did not work at all.

2. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

If you are looking to make yourself desirable to the production web development market, RoR is pretty hot right now. And you'll rarely find yourself out of work with Java under your belt, but that wasn't one of your options.

3. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

I think i am going to learn Ruby with ruby on rails. Objective C for desktop apps and javascript/ajax.
    Starting with Ruby on Rails is there any good book and resource recommendations, i tried the on line tutorial video and it was brill till i tried to scaffold and it no longer worked due to the scaffold model changeing.

4. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

"The Rails Way" by Obie Frenandez seems to be one of the more popular Rails books.

5. Got Josh? macrumors member

Also the pickaxe book ("Programming ruby") is one of the best books out there. But the best you'll find is the lynda.com video tutorial, it's REALLY great.