looking to increase imac (late2006)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gaogier, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Gaogier macrumors regular

Hello

I am looking to increase my iMac late 2006 model.

I am wanting to boost the RAM, and Hard drive.

2 questions really. Where can i get ram and an bigger hard drive for the imac late 2006 model?

Should i ask apple to upgrade it? will it effect the warranty?

One other thing, is it possible to upgrade the warranty?

2. JMac13 macrumors newbie

3. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

that's another story. the hard drive is not easily upgradeable. and may affect your warranty. but you say you have a 2006 imac, so unless you have applecare, your warranty is up anyway.

5. mastershakess macrumors 6502

I would save yourself the trouble and just get an external HD. You can save all you movies/music/photos to it and boot iTunes from the external HD. iTunes only takes a few seconds longer to open and works great plus it frees up room on your internal HD!

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

External firewire drive is a good idea - you don't fool around with opening the case and you can get pretty much unlimited storage since you can daisy chain the drives.

7. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

I dont want an external hhd.

Already have 1.

My apple care will end november. can i extend it?

Can i get apple to upgrade the hhd? i dont mind paying for it.

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

you can't extend applecare. you might be able to get apple to upgrade your drive. call them and ask.

9. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet. They pull 800€ out of your pocket for a minor casing bump for a MBP, so for replacing a HDD in a iMac (which is pretty difficult with the structural form factor) might cost you quite a lot.

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'm pretty certain Apple doesn't do upgrades. Opening the case to do it yourself WILL void your warranty if Apple can tell you did so. Keep in mind as well that it is NOT an easy operation. It's not impossible though if you're up to the hassle.

I second what the poster above suggested for an external. I just bought an Icy Dock Firewire 800 enclosure and popped in a Seagate 1.5TB SATA drive. Now I have an external drive that runs as fast as the internal with 6 times the storage.

Applecare is one time only for an additional 2 years added to the end of the one year limited warranty so 3 years total.

11. mastershakess macrumors 6502

What could you possibly be storing that you need more than an external Hard Drive could hold? When you bought your iMac you pretty much give away your right to "customize" it, lol.

12. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

When i got the imac, i thought, 160GB was more than enough...

Over the past year, i have been in and out of hospital, so i have been making websites, editing home moves, things like that.

I currently have 500GB hard drive, with about 90% full. I also have a shared 2TB hard drive, about 40% full