Looking to install SSD into 2008 MP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BeyondMountains, Jun 20, 2011.

1. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

There are numerous complaints in this forum about Icy Dock not working.

That Silverstone thing looks like it is intended for a cabled solution and so it doesn't look like the SATA connector will line up correctly for a MP HDD sled.

There are 3.5" SSDs which connect directly to the MP sleds without an adapter. That's what mine do.

2. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

yikes. thanks for the info about icy dock and silverstone. I was looking at Intel but they only make 2.5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167052

which brand do you have? I see ocZ makes a 3.5

3. 50wyldeman, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

50wyldeman macrumors newbie

50wyldeman

I JUST did this install into my 2008 2.8 octo(specs in sig), I am fairly pleased with the drive dock I got from macsales, here is a link

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/ADPTADRV/

FWIW I setup 2 of their drives a 115 gig ssd and a 40 gig ssd (ps scratch disk)

The salesman all but made me get these newertech drive adapters and they are pretty cool and functioning well for me, as it is only a 3 day old install I can't speak to long term yet but the system IS significantly faster.

Here is a pic of the setup in case you wanted to see.........
    [​IMG]

Here is a close up of the drive connection I think it could be a little better?
    [​IMG]

4. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for all the great info and the pictures!

last night i ended up ordering the adapter from max upgrades and the intel drive. hopefully all works out!

5. ChuckBlack macrumors member

ChuckBlack

I just bought the same sled and an OWC SSD. I too had the gap between the sled and the drive. I found that the holes in the sled are a bit off for a full connection but works flawlessly none the less.

6. kevink2 macrumors 65816

The issue I had with the Newer Tech adapter that I installed yesterday in my 2008 MP is that it didn't line up like I expected with the SATA plugs in my 3 bay. I solidly placed the SSD in the adapter, solidly screwed the adapter to my drive bay, and when I slid it in it didn't want to fit in. I guess I forced it, and it didn't work. Pulled it out, and it had bent. Couldn't get it to straighten out completely.

I ended up loosing the screws attaching the adapter to the drive bay so it would line up properly. The drive may not be rigid in there now, but it isn't a rotating disk which could work itself loose.

One system boot this morning seemed magically fast. I need to time it soon to see how long it takes to get to a stable point. With all the autostarts before, it took a couple minutes after login to really get stable for me.

7. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502