Looking to leave OSX for iOS...photo storage?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by sleepydinosaur, Nov 20, 2012.

1. sleepydinosaur macrumors regular

sleepydinosaur

I have a MacBook Air (2011). Great machine. But it sits and doesnt get used. I was thinking about selling it and going with an iPad 4. Everything I do can be done on iOS, so that leaves me with this dilemma.

I have iPhoto running and always updating with pics from PhotoStream. If I l walk away from OSX, what would my alternatives be? Obviously all the pics I take on my iPhone would be saved on the device, but how could I back that up to save space and still be able to view them?

2. sers macrumors regular

You may want to consider a NAS such as a synology diskstation. You'd be able to store all your photos on that, along with other files such as movies, music, documents, PDFs, etc.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Maybe something like Dropbox?

If you store them in the 'Photos' folder on dropbox it actually makes a web-gallery per each folder. Or you can put them in a private folder if you don't want them to be viewed on the web.

You'd probably end up having to pay for one of the not-free levels of Dropbox, but it's not that expensive and you can use it for other stuff too.

It's not the ideal solution, but I think anyone going pure-iOS will have to face a couple of "not ideal" solutions for the next few years. It's exciting that you're trying it, though! I'm not actually trying to be discouraging.