Looking to Purchase a 15" MacBook Pro for Media Studies

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Davemd93, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Davemd93 macrumors newbie

Davemd93

Currently studying Media Studies in college, in first year, and I was recently told I should purchase a MacBook Pro for audio and video editing.

I'm in the market for a new laptop anyway as my current one broke towards the end of summer.

I was told to go for a 15" model and upgrade it with at least 8GB of ram.

Never had a mac before and considering they are expensive I would like to have it for the next few years.

What I was wondering is if anyone had advice on what specs to go for and what model year.

I'm going to be working with large video files so I would like a model with USB 3, full HD screen (possibly retina if I can afford it), and a large hard drive (around 500GB - 1TB) as I would like to use it as my everyday laptop also.

I understand the newer Retina MacBook Pro's aren't user upgradeable so I have no problem purchasing an older model that is user upgradeable.

I live in Ireland if that makes a difference in terms of pricing.

With an education discount the top spec 15" MacBook Pro Retina costs €2,621.13 - obviously not cheap.

I understand Apple will introduce the newer model MacBook Pro's in early 2016 and I don't mind waiting a while before purchasing as I will obviously need to save up first.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

A refurbed 2013 inch will be the best bang for your buck, I would try and get one with 16Gb of RAM if you can and the 750M for video editing.

3. Davemd93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Davemd93

Would you know if this model can be upgraded or would I have to buy it with 16GB ram already installed?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It can't be upgraded none of the retina machines can I'm afraid, you would need to buy it with 16GB. All the 15 inch versions now come with 16GB standard but in 2013 it was an option on the lower end machine however all the machines with the 750M came with 16Gb standard if I remember rightly.

On the apple refurb store you'll save 300 euro over the new one.

http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/produc...-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

and £1600 on amazon uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...pro 15 750M&qid=1446550686&ref_=sr_1_6&sr=8-6

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

All retina models have ram soldered onto their logic boards. unfortunately you will be unable to upgrade the laptop.

6. page404 macrumors regular

page404

Think again if you need a large internal drive. I guees 90% of your data will fit on 256 GB, and an external USB3 drive is compact and cheap. I don't think there are rMPB's with a HDD, probably only SSD. But make sure you get one with an SSD instead of a HDD.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Correct and while the SSDs are not soldered onto the logic board the newer style of Apple's SSDs (post 2012 I believe) are only available on eBay. That is no vendor is selling them.

8. Davemd93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Davemd93

Thank you all for the advice!

It'll probably be a while before I have enough money to purchase one but for now I know what to look out for.

All your help has been very much appreciated!.