Looking to purchase a Mac at an auction, please advise

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Scuall, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Scuall macrumors newbie

Hello all, first post. Hopefully I'll be here more often. It's been awhile since I've worked on a Mac. I own numerous PCs, but am now looking to purchase a Mac for the home. I'll be attending an auction this weekend, inventory is listed here. I am particularly interested in this item;

"Powerful G5 Powermacs with Dual 2.0GHz Processors, 1.5 GB, 150GB HD, DVD burners, and Apple Studio LCD Display!"

Any advice on a maximum bid I should have in mind? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

That model retailed new at time of manufacture (early 2005) for US$2000. Everymac.com suggests its current retail value as $1250 - $1500 which, according to my experience of 2-hand auction prices, is high.

For a rule of thumb, consider a bid of 50 - 60% of initial retail price, with a maximum (suggested) 66%, or US$1320. In the end it'll boil down to how much you're willing to pay, but I wouldn't go as high as $1500 (75%).

Hint - I learned from a very hardened but successful 2-hand dealer that "something is worth whatever someone will pay for it".

3. Scuall thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the assist. It's amazing how much an Apple will hold its value. My top of the line 2007 Alienware laptop (>$3k original) is prolly worth <$1000 nowadays.

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Hopefully, this will be an auction that allows people to look at their stuff before the auction begins......

Since this is a college, make sure you look carefully at whatever computers you want to buy. I have been there, done that at many univ. auctions, and ALOT of times, school computers will either:

A) Be in crappy condition due rough handling by the students and/or clueless staffers

B) Have all kinds of markings, stickers, engravings, or other identifying marks on them.

C) Have HDD's and/or other components removed, sometimes literally RIPPED out, either intentionally or again, by the clueless ones.....

Good luck, hopefully you'll be able to score some great deals on some great machines :D

5. Scuall thread starter macrumors newbie

Per the auction listing, I have two hours prior to inspect all the machines. Everything will be left on to show that they work.

I guess one more request. Any advice on what else to look for in a used Mac, other than the items listed above?

6. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I personally wouldn't go more then 1k.. but that's me.

I think the jump to intel would be worth the extra cost.

7. Scuall thread starter macrumors newbie

1K is the limit for myself as well. I'm hoping that the current economy will dissuade anyone from purchasing the better items in this auction.

8. Scuall thread starter macrumors newbie

Updated: Got it for $675! You'll be seeing me in the future on these forums.

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Thats a pretty good deal. It may not be top of the line current. But it will still do many tasks very well.

10. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Sounds like an excellent deal. Those late poly cinema displays were gorgeous.