Looking to purchase a Mac very soon, is this website legit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kinghandles718, Apr 15, 2009.

1. kinghandles718 macrumors newbie

I've already done my research and googling about this site. I haven't got much from googling, and I even searched these forums, but it was not mentioned. The website is www.mac-resource.com

The prices are not ridiculously cheap, they're actually quite reasonable and pretty close to the price range of various mac dealers.

http://www.mac-resource.com/aboutus

^^^ I read that section, and was somewhat persuaded, but still skeptical (as I've been to many sites the past few months). Then I came across this http://bryan.bbb.org/wwwroot/report.aspx?site=169&bbb=0855&firm=7000577 which impressed me pretty well. I found 2 local reviews about the store down in Texas, and they were both positive making comments of how it's a very reliable, friendly, and family run shop.

I'd like some opinions of what you guys think. (please don't tell me to just buy a new mac, $$$$ is an issue)

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

After a real quick look at their site, it looks like they're selling stuff that's at least one generation old, and in many cases two or three. Their prices don't look so great at all to me.

You can pick up refurbished or previous-gen hardware from Apple online for similar if not better prices.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Looks legit, but you could probably find a better deal elsewhere, unless you were looking to buy locally.

4. chase71320 macrumors newbie

dont do it

I would advise against purchasing from this site. It seems affiliated with Texas A&M, and for some reason they're charging a few hundred dollars more than what these older laptops are worth...and what's worse is they're stripped down to minimum RAM! You could definitely find a better deal elsewhere.

Depending on what system you're looking for, the Apple Refurb store is offering some great deals on MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and iMacs...plus, you get an Apple-guaranteed warranty. If you're looking for a PowerBook, eBay is definitely something you should look into.

5. kinghandles718 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. kinghandles718 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I did some more research using Wikipedia, and basically realized those models on mac-resources.com are about 3 years old. I then went to the Apple site and looked at the refurb section, only to notice a current generation refurb of the macbook for a price $50 more http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB881LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw#overview . It's obvious that the Apple site has a better deal, but does anyone else here know where I can get a cheaper deal or is that the best I'll get?

So far I've looked at macofalltrades and gainsaver (huge scam from reviews). I've seen various other sites that were pretty much ripoffs, but I'm probably going to go with purchasing it directly from Apple, but if anyone has a better site or know a better deal I can get, it would be very much appreciated! :)

7. dentedG4 macrumors member

Macmall

Macmall.com usually has pretty good deals and they sometimes throw in accessories to sweeten the deal!