Looking to Purchase a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by captain frys, Mar 4, 2008.

1. captain frys macrumors newbie

Hello, had some questions between two macbook pro models.

I'm looking at the 15 inch models and my main question is weather or not the 512 Video Card would benefit me. I'm not to worried about the processor, only being a 4% increase over the lower model and I would upgrade to a 250gb hard rive anyway.

I'm buying it so my school-work is separated from my parents desktop. I will be running windows on it too. Mainly it'll be used for word documents, e-mail, and internet.
    I am, however, delving back into my photo and video editing days and may start playing some of my old games. How much of a performance increase will I see from 256 to 512mb on a video card? I'm not doing anything with HD, and I'm not too worried about rendering times and such so does it really matter?

Thanks for any help, greatly appreciated!

2. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

I personally don't think that you'll see too much of a difference between the 256 vs. 512. I believe that they are the same video card 8600GT w/the same type of memory. You aren't running anything demanding enough that will need the additional video memory (final cut, games, etc). You should be fine with tne entry 15" MBP. Good luck!

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Why aren't you considering a MacBook? The money you would save would allow you to buy a nice 24" display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and a few beers.

4. island macrumors 6502

island

I wouldn't. The feel and quality of the plastic MacBooks sucks, just my opinion after going through 3 of them.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

We have both and my MBP has all kinds of dings in it. The MacBook's polycarbonate shell offers much more protection, IMO.

6. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Waiting for Bare Feats to give us some benchmarks. But on the
    last generation MBP's there was very little performance diff between
    the 128 vs 256 gpu. Suspect it may well be the same between 256 vs 512.

7. Yves Creebs macrumors newbie

i have a MBP but in your case i would get the Macbook.

The high end model has PLENTY of power to handle what you want.

8. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

For what you need to do, a macbook would handle it fine, EXCEPT for the games if you end up wanting to get into some new ones, the dedicated graphics card of the macbook pro might be good.

If I were you , I'd go with the 2.2 refurb macbook pro. 1449. About as much as a highend macbook, but will have the extra graphics and still be MORE then enough power for you.

However, if you can afford it, the bottom line current pro model is a great choice for you.

9. pcuser2 macrumors member

I quite agree with the above opinions that a macbook can be fine to you.

10. ankushpatel macrumors regular

i dont agree

I think the material that the macbook is made out of is a 2 year deal, a macbook pro is solid and it can last alot longer in good condition and plus i think it looks nicer.

11. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I still have a G3 iBook made out of the same polycarbonate. That shell is tough, less prone to bending and doesn't ding like my MBP.

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The Macbook's plastic shell is more resistant to dents and drops than the Macbook Pro's aluminum casing. If you don't want to baby your 'book, make it a Macbook.

13. captain frys thread starter macrumors newbie

well I thank you all for your opinions, very helpfull. I think I'll end up going with the MBP and the refurbished one is a good idea. I don't know what I'll be getting into down the road so the extra power might be useful, plus I can't stand the 13" screens at school.