Looking to purchase a new laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trickdaddyklu, Jun 19, 2008.

1. trickdaddyklu macrumors newbie

I know I want a macbook pro but not sure which of the 3 to get or if I should wait because of the reports of the new pros coming out in a few months. I need it for school and personal enjoyment. school is an hour from home so ill use it alot at the library and class. thanks for your help in advance.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well there's only 2 MBP's in the 15" version and (1) 17" model. It all depends if you want the 15 or the 17. If you are looking at the 15" models then the base model is a great deal, the specs are awesome and if you do any gaming it will run very well. If you are more of a hard core gamer meaning that it's important to max out the graphics capabilities of the game then I would recommend the higher end 15" since the GPU has more video memory. If you are not going to do much gaming save the $500.00 and get the base model.
    If you are student you get a great student discount on Apple's website.

3. trickdaddyklu thread starter macrumors newbie

so quality of gaming is the only real difference that ill come accross between the two 15 inchers. 17 is too big for how much ill be carting it around.

4. Snowbound macrumors regular

To be honest, if money is a factor at all for you, I'd look into refurbished or used. You can get some nice deals if you search around; or could just save a couple hundred dollars with no extra work. If you're not a gamer, there's really no great reason to have a brand spaking new one anyway.

5. trickdaddyklu thread starter macrumors newbie

if i bought the cheapest pro what should i upgrade? memory? hd? display?

does processor speed difference of 2.4 to 2.5 really make that big of a difference?

6. Snowbound macrumors regular

I wouldn't buy any upgrades from apple, except possibly a hard drive if you need the bigger size. Buy 2 X 2gb of RAM and install it yourself and you'll save a couple hundred dollars on a great upgrade.