Looking to Purchase MBP 13" 2011 or 2012 from Craigslist

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hulksmashed31, Oct 7, 2014.

1. hulksmashed31 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I am looking to purchase a macbook pro 13" from craigslist. It will be used mostly for school.

Right now I am on a Sony Via with an AMD e-450, so yeah.

Would you recommend a 2011 or 2012?

Now Craigslist. I did a search on the forums and found some really horrifying stories. As a college student I cant afford to spend 500-700 on craigslist only to find that it has a password or a hidden problem.

What are some things I need to look out for?
    Apple Care
    Dents or Dings
    Password Protection

Does the Apple store provide free diagnostic test in store?

Any more advice/tips would be great
    Thank You

2. MacVibe macrumors regular

Main differences are: 2012 was upgraded from USB2 to USB3 and graphics from HD3000 to HD4000. If either of those matter then get a 2012, but you can probably save at least $200 on the 2011 and then get a nice SSD to really speed things up.

3. StockDC2 macrumors regular

1. Battery Cycles + Charge Capacity
    2. Make sure all keys on keyboard work.
    3. No iCloud registration.
    4. Take it to an Apple Store for a hardware diagnostics. Also ask them to remove the bottom panel and inspect for water damage.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you go the Craigslist route, have the potential seller meet you at the Apple store. That way, it is easier to check things out. And if you have a question or possible problem, it can be addressed in the right environment.

5. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

The largest issue i see with used apple stuff is icloud. they can sell it to you then hardware lock you out a week later. Even if you reformat it will still be logged in to icloud. How to prove your logged out of icloud i dont know.