Looking to purchase my first iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GreenHead, Jan 26, 2010.

  1. GreenHead macrumors newbie

    Jan 25, 2010
    First off, I have never owned an Apple computer. So, I have a couple questions. I have been looking at the 27'' for some time now. I have been waiting to place my order until they are receiving better feedback.

    I know this is soon to be asking, but does anyone have an idea when the next iMac's will be coming out? The reason I ask is because, I don't "need" a new computer, therefore I could wait.

    From looking at the buyers guide on this site it looks like there will be a new iMac out sometime later this year. If I went ahead and bought the 27'' and then I wanted the newer one later, what is the resell like on these computers?

    As this is my first mac I am pretty hesitant on buying a computer that is getting such low marks from others on here. I know they are supposed to be fixing the flickering and the yellow tint, but I can't help but wonder if I should wait till next time.

    Thanks for the help

    Also, if I get the 27'' I'm probably gonna wait a month or so before I order to see if the problems are worked out. So, if I'm planning on waiting a month anyways, should I just wait a couple more after that to see what's next?
  2. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 25, 2010
    I'll be watching this thread with great interest. I, too, have never owned a Mac, and am currently considering taking the plunge on a 27" iMac quad-core.
  3. joeeey macrumors member

    Nov 6, 2009
    I was in the same boat as you guys, but I took the plunge. I placed my order yesterday for my 27" i7 quad core. I purchased apple care, so even if there is a problem I'll get it sorted out tho I am confident that all will be fine. :D
  4. flopticalcube macrumors G4


    Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    Many people use the refurb store to price late model Macs. The prices are generally 10-15% off new so anything less than that would be your resale value. Next iMacs will probably be a speed/spec bump. Nothing major.
  5. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

    Jan 26, 2010
    me too. i'm in the UK and have been a windows fan big time but the new i7 imac's screen is just too sweet to ignore and unfortunately there's no equivalent monitor for a new build PC... so i've been thinking of getting one.
    it will be on finance tho. or my credit card.
    but i'll wait till all problem is fixed (hopefully soon!)
  6. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 25, 2010

    Like many "I've had enough of MS stuff" and I too want a new iMac (my 1st Mac) as well. Due to many "problem patterns" of new screens (especially the 27" screens) and small number of iMacs having weird fan or vibration noises, I too am waiting. Waiting for next generation of iMacs to be released. Hopefully, they will be installing the new i5 chip in an iMac 21.5" package in fall of 2010. If so, quess what Santa will have under this coming Christmas tree? :)

  7. ArcspacE macrumors member

    Jul 31, 2009
    Made the jump last year.
    Haven't looked back. :D
  8. Kez28 macrumors newbie

    Jan 13, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I just took the plunge and received my i7 2 days ago. I also didn't 'need' a new computer but was seduced by the awesome 27 inch screen. Mine is a week 3 and appears to be problem free. It looks amazing and I can't wait to get a few solid hours to play with my new toy.
  9. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 25, 2010
    Wow. There's a lot of it about, no...?!

    My personal breaking-point came four days ago, when my current laptop hit a new low for stability. It crashed three times in just over ten minutes. I screamed like a lunatic, yanked it off its stand and threw it onto my bed.

    My previous PC did something similar to me this time last year. That's two PCs I've gone through, in less than 26 months.

    Time for a change...
  10. GreenHead thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 25, 2010
    One more question. What are the chances that Apple will be releasing a newer iMac before, say, June? Since the past iMac stayed at 24" for a couple years, it makes me wonder if they will hold at 27" for a couple years. But, then again, with all the recent trouble what are your thoughts on a different looking iMac already?

    I know it's all speculation, but I can't help but wonder. I mean, if chances are good there will be a new iMac in the next 5 or 6 months then I'll probably just wait till then.

    Any thoughts?

    And yes, my wife keeps saying, if you're gonna do that you'll never end up getting one, just order the 27'' and be done.
  11. Christianallen macrumors newbie

    Jan 27, 2010
    I'm in exactly the same boat.

    I had an iMac G5 for a few years, but the logic board recently failed and I've been forced to use my mother's PC for the past few weeks.

    I've done a lot of research, but I simply don't know exactly what to do. I really want a new computer, though I COULD wait (but it'd be harder).

    I would get an i5 or i7 but the 27 inch screen is far too cumbersome. I'm going away to college next fall and I need a new iMac for that. But I also don't want to wait until July for the iMacs to be upgraded.


    Do you have any ideas on how long it will be for the i5/i7 to become available on a 21.5 inch iMac?
  12. definitive macrumors 68000


    Aug 4, 2008
    i got an early 2009 24" last year. it's a pretty good system except for several things: it's obviously expensive, and it has an image persistance issue where some artifacts develop on the screen after about 15 minutes that computer has been turned on. it goes away if you use a white background, and move your windows away from the affected area, or if you leave the thing off overnight, but it can get annoying since it happens all the time. still debating on whether i should bring it in to apple store or not since after being there several times (issues with my iphone which have eventually been taken care of), it's one of the last places i want to visit for any type of repairs since i don't live close to the place.

    as for the 27" model: it's a good system, except the video card is outdated. the next update might come out some time during summer like the early 2009 models. i'm sure they'll have better processors and video cards by then. if you don't need a mac for work, and can sit a few months longer, i suggest you wait. ...that and it seems that a lot of the current imacs are having issues with their screens (don't know if it's been fixed or not).
  13. DougY macrumors 6502

    Dec 2, 2009
    I have no complaints

    I bought the core duo 27", 3.06gig iMac from the local Apple Store, and I couldn't be happier. It is a wonderful computer, and my first Apple. I haven't experienced any of the problems I've seen on this forum, but then, I might just be lucky. I have no regrets, just a great computer.
  14. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000


    Jun 16, 2008
    I just got the same computer in the mail a few days ago, feel exactly the same about it. Great computer, price is good. What about $1,600.00 or $1,699 not bad at all.
  15. killerrobot macrumors 68020


    Jun 7, 2007
    This last upgrade to the iMac line was a totally new design. I expect them to keep it for a few years. I think the only thing that will change be the the processor, HD size, and Video cards until then.
    It's probably a safe bet that towards fall there will be some minor refreshes of those items.
    If you want to wait that long, great. If not, then you should just buy now.
    I´m in the same boat as dougY, bought my 27" 3.06 two days after it was announced, and I've never had a single problem with it.
  16. GreenHead thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 25, 2010
    I agree that the design won't change for a couple years. It was because of all the problems that got me wondering though. If they do change the video card, etc.. is that something that can be added to one of these machines or is it something that won't be needed?

    My concern now is that I have been reading that the screen problems are a result of shipping. I live hours from an Apple and so I will have to order one.
  17. killerrobot macrumors 68020


    Jun 7, 2007
    If the insides of the new iMac are anything like the old ones, there's no way to upgrade the video post-hoc without upgrading the whole logic board. If you're really into video editing/gaming then you should get the ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB video card. Other than that, all the next revisions won't really increase the performance so much that you should hold off on buying them.

    As far as the shipping goes, all of them are shipped from China no matter what. I think there were just a lot of bad panels that got bought, but Apple is aware of it now and trying to make sure that all the new ones being shipped don't have the same problems. It does show a 3 week delay on shipping. Without having a Apple store close by, then you just kind of have to take your chances. If it is defective it won't cost you anything other than time to ship it back.
  18. GreenHead thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 25, 2010
    Well, given all the troubles and the new topic in the rumors section about the 2010 macs I've decided to hold off for now. Last thing I want is to purchase a 2k computer only to have to send it back. And like I said this is just an extra computer and therefore I can afford to wait.

    Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.
  19. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020


    Sep 10, 2007
    Beach, FL
    That still wouldn't matter; they get shipped to the Apple Store as they do your house.
  20. Deano27 macrumors newbie

    Jan 7, 2010
    Had my imac 27" core 2 for about three weeks now ..Its my first mac and its been bang on no complaints as yet :cool:
  21. GreenHead thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 25, 2010
    Now the wife almost has me talked into going ahead and ordering the core2duo 27''. Are there any chances the core2duo will be phased out of the 27'' iMac in the next update? My only hesitations to ordering now is I'm wanting to keep this machine for 5-6 years and don't want to be stuck with an outdated core2duo.

    Also, I don't know if I should order now since there may be an update to the iMacs soon? Anyone have any guesses when the new iMacs will be out? March, or is that way to soon?

    If I order now should I get the i5 instead of the core2duo, in terms of holding value? This machine will be used only for web browsing, itunes, etc...

    What do you guys and gals think, order now or wait?
  22. Warbitrary macrumors regular

    Nov 24, 2009
    Montréal, Canada
    The Core 2 Duo will most likely be phased out of the 27" in the next update.

    If you intend to keep the machine 5-6 years, I would go with the i5.

    Based on current trends, the next iMac update could arrive anywhere between May '10 (earliest) and September '10 (latest).

Share This Page