Looking to Replace HDD with SSD - Which One?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by blairs1, Sep 19, 2012.

1. blairs1 macrumors member

Got my iMac earlier this year, but after having a MacBook air, I must say, I want the SSD in my iMac as well. I know there is something to do with the drive connector that limits user replacement, but not sure if this would work with an SSD (being installed by Apple in the store - see below).

I have a few options: OCZ Vertex 3, OCZ Vertex 4, OCZ Agility 3, OCZ Agility 4, Corsair Force 3 and Crucial M4 models are all around the same price.

I don't trust myself to do this, and Apple has quoted me a half decent price on doing it in the store.

Which SSD is the best for this job? Do I need any extra hardware, or will the Apple Store have this? I know the Vertex 4 had a kit included.

Looking at 240-256gb drives.

2. nottooshabby macrumors 6502

I'm researching this too. Have you looked at a samsung 830?

3. blairs1 thread starter macrumors member

they are quite a bit more money - are the samsung drives more reliable? don't follow SSD articles/items, so unsure of who's got the best product.

that's why i've come here to ask.

also, that "connector" - will apple genius' install that when I have them swap the drives?

4. cyrways macrumors member

I'm trying to determine which one won't cause the fan issue, currently researching as i type.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

From my research/experience: Samsung, Plextor, Crucial, IBM. I have owned a Patriot Pyro and its been OK, nothing special. I have also owned a Vertex 3, its got lots of problems. I hear that the Vertex 4's have high failure rates. YMMV.