Looking to replace my landline with iPhone... a few questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Benjamindaines, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I would like to get rid of my land line and replace it with my iPhone, however I have about 3 phones around my house that I would like to keep working. So what I am looking for is a box that I can put it one spot of my house that will pair to my phone via bluetooth, then connect into my phone jack and allow the land line phones to receive a dial tone from the iPhone. Does something like this exist? Where would I pick one up?

--Thanks.

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Funny thing you mention this, I'm in the process of replacing my landline with cell only and set out to find a bluetooth landline to do just this and just saw this product at Target the other day, it acts as a bluetooth bridge between regular phones and a cell phone. You can't recreate the dialtone but you can turn your headsets into bluetooth.

3. The Doctor macrumors member

The Doctor

that looks awesome... do you think the sound quality is any better using a regular phone through the cell phone?

4. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

5. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Funny you mention Target, as this device was sitting right next to the one you mentioned at my Target.

http://www.vtechphones.com/vtechui/store/dsp_product.cfm?itemID=B7968B8E-17A4-4529-24DDA257E40638DC

Reading up on how you could use it.

EDIT: Looks like you decide whether to connect via cell or house phone. Use your cell with comfort and ease of a house phone it says. Also, it lists iPhone as a compatible device. Pretty cool if you ask me. I know you said existing phones, but this is cool.

6. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

I need to find something that will allow me to use my cell phone instead of a landline, but with the same reliability. AT&T service isn't that great where I am. Something like the T-Mobile Hotspot thing, or something similar. AT&T doesn't have anything like this do they? Nah, didn't think so. LoL. I might try one of those other phones though. There are many times when I can't find my house phone, but I'll be damned if I'm losing my cell. LoL.

7. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Search the threads here, there is going to be a VOIP app launching with the App Store that will allow you to take the call via Wi-Fi or Cell Service. Looks pretty good. I will try to find the link real quick.

EDIT: http://www.icall.com/iphone/

I am in the same boat, I am building a house where there is very little AT&T service so I will have to use this Wi-Fi app when I am at home. I will actually be canceling Vonage and save $34 a month by not having a house line.

8. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

Thanks for the help with that! Looks good. I'll have to try it out when everything is up and running. :eek: Of course, it won't make much of a difference until my Comcast contract is up. :p

9. rayvrwc macrumors newbie

My Experience with xlinkgateway

I got rid of AT&T and went with an xlinkgateway. It works, but you must keep your iPhone within 1 or 2 feet of the xlink. The xlink will pick up your iPhone if you forget to lay it down right next to it, but then if someone calls and you pick up the call on your home phone, you will hear a significant amount of static. I also bought a new DECT 6.0 frequency expandable phone system (uniden at Costco) because my old phones still picked up the GSM noise from the iPhone. It works, and works well if you remember to keep your iPhone right next to the xlink box. I put my charger there just to remind me to keep it next to the xlink. Caller ID works, but only displays the phone number, not the person's name.

10. rayvrwc macrumors newbie

Watch out for 5.8

Yes, the website says it will work with iPhone, but only as a "basic" unit. I'll bet this is a very good product, but does not shield the GSM noise coming from the iPhone. I know I had to go to the DECT 6.0 system to get rid of the noise.

11. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

why are you trying to hook an iphone to a regular phone?

Are you trying to salvage expensive land line hardware?

It just seems like an unnecessary expense to me... and I haven't had a land line in 5 years, even before I had an iPhone.

12. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Well I live in a relatively large house with multiple people, and phones in several rooms. I want to get rid of my Verizon line (currently paying 80 dollars a month) and replace it with a 10 dollars a month cell line. But I still want all the phones around the house to work.

13. Honeysmom macrumors newbie

This is an old post so I'm not sure if it will get answered but this is what I'm looking for I think?

I have an iphone and I ONLY have cell service I do not have a landline.

The only problem I have is I NEVER hear my phone. My house is rather large and the ring just not loud enough for me to hear it in another room.

Does this device or devices in this thread work, where if I get a call my regular phone would actually ring like it would if I did have a land line?

Has anyone in this thread used any of the devices and what did they think?

14. hsk macrumors regular

Actually - search the main forum for "microcell". ATT is testing a microcell product in 3 markets right now and will hopefully roll it out nationally in the next few months. It is like the T-M Hotspot - routes calls through your DSL connection. I have pretty good service, but it does fluctuate - particularly in the past two weeks as I believe they are adjusting towers and bandwidth for MMS. I use my cell as a business phone and do not really want to buy a landline - so I am eagerly awaiting the Microcell.