Looking to replace the MightyMouse

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by uMac, May 14, 2008.

1. uMac macrumors 6502

I am tired of using this mouse, now looking for a suitable replacement, likely something from Logitech.
    My Quest starts here

Suggested Alternatives are welcome.

2. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

3. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Do those have the 'tilt' or side-scroll function?

4. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

The Logitech does have a side to side scroll function. I'm not sure about the Microsoft 5000. I would have rathered having a bluetooth model but I've read some not so good reviews on the Microsoft model so I'll probably give the Logitech a try first.

If you come across any others we should consider, perhaps you could post them? :)

5. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

The Logitech VX Nano is a great mouse for laptop users. It's smaller than a regular sized mouse, which may be an issue for people with larger hands. It does have the tilt/side scrolling feature.

The Logitech VX Revolution is similar, but also has a zoom feature, and search button. I haven't owned this mouse, so can't speak to how well it functions.

The Microsoft Bluetooth notebook mouse does have the side scrolling function as well, but you press the scroll wheel to activate the directional symbol on screen. I haven't owned this mouse either.

Here is another (less expensive) option. I'm using this mouse now, and it works nicely.

6. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Its for a desktop, and I would perfer a mouse a little on big side and I want a corded mouse.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I use a MX 400. Great for right hander.

Bought one for work and have one for home.

I went to a few stores and tried out >20 mouses and I find that works the best for my hand and the way I grip the mouse. Just go to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc to try them out.

8. esaias macrumors member

Logitech MX 500 series are among the best ones!

-Tomi

9. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

You could always opt for the party trick mouse ;)

made by Simtrix

(Not yet available though)

10. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

12. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

Whatever you decide on check Ebay before you buy. Personally, I love the Logitech MX Revolution which is the best mouse I've ever had (wireless or wired). I picked up two 'refurb' units for $40ea shipped on Ebay. They came in bubble wrap instead of the glamorous retail packaging, but other than that they were perfect. I've had them for almost a year now.

I got two for what most people will pay for one. You can find some really great deals if you look.

Regards,

Wayne

13. Hackcomic.com macrumors regular

I'm looking for a mouse too.

I was using a microsoft 2 button mouse which I liked the right click for cutting and pasting. The mighty mouse isn't nearly as easy to use for this (you have to hit control)

The one thing I didn't like about the microsoft mouse is the scroll wheel was grooved so it tended to leave an imprint in my finger.

I guess I'm looking for a mouse with right and left click buttons and a scroll wheel that isn't as harsh on my finger (I do like the scroll on the mighty mouse)

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

15. Goldenbear macrumors regular

Depends on what you do on your Mac.

Most cordless mice have lag because they go into power saving mode constantly. Gaming mice don't do this, and I've experienced zero lag compared to my track pad. The problem with gaming mice is that the battery life sucks, but they usually come with a 2nd rechargeable battery.

I've been vey happy with my Logitech G7. The key is to not install Logitec's crappy software. Use USB Overdrive instead.

16. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Whoa, those are sick! Thanks for sharing the link. :)

I agree with others, Logitech makes a great mouse, but they don't make great software for Macs (and the 3rd party software developers kinda suck). It's best to ignore SetPoint, and find an alternative.

The Logitech lineup: Check around for best prices. I've had good luck with Amazon, Newegg.com, and eBay.

Good luck to those of you getting new mice!

17. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I'm using the standard one button Mighty Mouse, and am able to right click by changing a mouse setting in System Preferences.

18. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Get an MX Revolution, best mouse I have ever owned. Would never change it for anything else.

19. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

The Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 is a pretty good mouse. I'd recommend it to you, unless you hate all things Microsoft. :)