Looking to sell iMac and buy MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Braby, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Braby macrumors member

I was going to get the middle tier MBP but after the Education Discount and upgrading what I want on the lowest tier, that one seems to suit me fine and it's still quite a bit cheaper.

I'm either going to get the 250 @ 7200 or 350 @ 5400. Is the rpm difference really that noticeable? I think I could manage with the 250GB anyway, but it would be kind of nice if the rpm doesn't make much of a difference. The other thing I'd be looking to upgrade is the ram from 2 to 4GB. I'll probably end up getting some output cables to hook up to my HDTV but I'm not too sure about that yet.

So that right there is $2,211.00 CDN. Anything else that I should look at to upgrade on the lowest tier model? I'll be doing some post-production editing if that changes anything (I have FCS, so I won't need FC Express).

One last thing, I'm going to be selling my current iMac (The first aluminum 20" model released after they remolded the white plastic one. Purchased in Sept 07 I believe), Does anyone know of a estimated price that I could get for the computer?

2. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

as for the macbook hdd, you wont see a very big difference unless you deal with large files all the time. for most users, the 5400 rpm is just fine.

the iMac might fetch you 600-800 on craigslist if you have alot of apps. i saw a plastic iMac selling for $750 because he had alot of apps on it so you may get more

3. Braby thread starter macrumors member

I'll probably go with the 320GB @ 5400 then, thanks.

I have Adobe CS4, FCS2, and Avid on here. I'll be sure to advertise them when I'm selling it to maximize my profit.

I might wait until September to see when Snow Leopard will be out and if there will be a MBP refresh or not.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you know you'll have to transfer all the licenses, so there is no way you can really "profit"; of course if you aren't using the applications it makes sense to sell them.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If you're doing a lot of editing of video, you'll want some external hard drive space (room to store versions, room to back everything up...).

You can also check ebay for prices - do a search on completed listings to get a feel for the "going rate". CL prices will differ some, but at least you'll have a ballpark.

6. Braby thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking about getting an external from FutureShop, they are pretty cheap now a days.

I was looking at the refurbished MBP's today and I was wondering if they were worth it or should I buy new?

7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

If you're prepared to do a tiny bit of DIY, you could always buy a 320 GB 7,200rpm (or even a 500 GB 5,400/7,200rpm) hard drive for roughly the same price and end up with an extra hard drive which you could even sell off for extra cash.