Looking to setup a NAS, advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by abta1, Apr 1, 2014.

1. abta1 macrumors 6502

I'm thinking about setting up NAS storage on my home network. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've been looking at the DNS-320L as it comes recommended review-wise.

Is it possible to use Time-machine this way too?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Synology is probably the most popular NAS that is recommended here, so I'd say check them out. They offer a lot of features and services. As for TimeMachine yes you can use the Synology NAS to backup your machine using TM.

Not all NAS units are equal and if they don't support AFP, you'll have a hard time using it for TM or other issues, such as storing your iPhoto/Aperture library.

I'd also recommend you check out qnap, I have that model, and you can see what it features and compares to synology.

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Time Capsule makes a great home NAS box, if all you want to do is share files and have a place to store time machine backups.

Apple has yet to approve any third party boxes for timemachine backups, although many vendors say they support it and some here use them anyway. Use a third party backup software, like carbon copy cloner, instead for more reliability.

Why do you think you need a NAS?

If you intend to stream video to Apple devices, share an itunes library, etc it may make more economical sense in the long run to set up a MAC OSX server. Many use a refurb mini for this. I picked up a NAS a year ago and have been regretting not going the server route ever since.

4. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

If you have an old PC around you can set up FreeNAS, which uses a stripped-down Linux implementation.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have an older 1st gen Time Capsule. I use it for backups over the network to a usb disk that is plugged in to it. I use the internal storage as more of a scratchpad. This is because the unit failed once and while Apple replaced it for fee, I never got my files back. I have tried numerous NAS drives over the years. Most recently I've settled on Synology. I use a DS214J and a DS114J. Each has one WD Green drive inside. I mirror the two drives. I find this to be better than RAID. With RAID, if one drive dies, you might lose everything. With my setup, if one drive dies, the other fully working drive has a copy of everything.

I've also considered an OSX server but I don't have any "spare" Mac hardware lying around that is new enough to run Mavericks and I'd rather the OSX server be the same version as my working copy of OSX.

Hope this helps...

6. abta1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I like the server idea but that route seems like overkill for my needs. I just want to have a remote place to store/stream all my media and backups rather than the two WD passport drives I have at the moment. I'm running with just a MBA at home as I have my work PC to do all the heavy processing. I have an external monitor with keyboard and mouse setup that I hook my MBA up to on occasion but I'd rather not have a separate PC running at home which is why I considered the NAS route.

7. satcomer, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then look no father then Synology because the DSM (Disk Station Manager) will give you so much more, including a Time Machine Server.

I suggest either the DS414 or the DS214play.

Plus if you get/rip movies from places then look at this video(if you use iTunes on Synology):

8. hollandog macrumors regular

hollandog

I bought a Synology 412+ few weeks ago. It works great.
    Now that I have 10TB (4x4tb WD Red Raid 5). It should last me many years.

Plus I can access my NAS over the internet.

9. Evildude683 macrumors regular

Evildude683

I want a setup with plenty of space where all of my hard drives can be stored and all of my devices can back up into. I currently have a Mac mini as an HTPC with a 2TB external drive for Plex movies and TV shows.

A 27" Mid 2010 iMac with a 2TB using 1TB for Time Machine and 1TB for miscellaneous storage.

Also, next year I'll be setting up IP surveillance cameras, and I would like to have plenty of space for them to store video.

Will a NAS allow me to use each individual HDD or will use all of them at once for redundancy? I'm tired of having the HDD's in different places.

P.S. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I had the same question.;)

10. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Does your mini or iMac have Thunderbolt?

You can hang all your drives off the mini or iMac and file share them. Add more drive as you grow. If you want to consolidate time machines destinations, then the Mac server app will allow you to set up your mini or iMac as a time machine destination. These low use processes run in the background. For redundancy you can use disk utility to mirror any two drives.

I asked about Thunderbolt as a 4 or 5 bay thunderbolt enclosure is a sweet way to add storage. Unlike USB, there are no issues.

11. Evildude683, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

Evildude683 macrumors regular

Evildude683

It's a 2011 Mac mini and yes, it does have 1 port. Although, Thunderbolt still a bit overpriced, USB 3.0 or Firewire are always an option.

12. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Not so much overpriced at the moment, and well worth it for it just works, like most say about the Mac. Now one can usually find garage sale priced USB stuff, but you are getting what you paid for.

13. Evildude683 macrumors regular

Evildude683

Based on that i'm just gonna get the Qnap TS-431
    Its costs as much as a 4 bay thunderbolt enclosure but this is a NAS.

14. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I like the look of the Synology systems but I really want a 5 drive NAS and the cheapest 5 bay solution from Synology (DS1513+) is almost double a Drobo 5N.

Time machine support would be nice but I do have a time capsule that I can use for backing up my wife's computers and I have an Xserve that has a spare drive slot in it that I could use for a time machine drive for my computers.

Main use for me would be as long term storage of data and storing all my video and blu-ray rips for Plex (storage only, not running the server).

15. Gazzastrip macrumors newbie

what to buy?

I currently have no backup system whatsoever. I have about 350GB of movies and music. I want to be able to access all of it from other devices anywhere in the world. Is there a single thing that will both store, backup and give me access over the internet?

16. grizfan macrumors member

grizfan

My Synology DS213j does just that. The Synology website has a live demo of their DiskStation software, and there are several good videos on YouTube, showing this very functionality in action.

17. cpac54 macrumors newbie

Sorry to hijack the thread, but a quick question:

If I understand everything correctly, the NAS unit gets hooked in directly to one's router, correct?

I've heard that you should have a router that allows for Gigabit transfer, is that correct? What would happen if you don't have that? For example, my router is 440Mp/s, and my internet connection is only 50Mp/s.

If someone could quickly explain that to a noob like me, I would be super thankful!

18. smellalot macrumors 6502

You are right- it's best to use a gigabit Ethernet router. But it's only useful if you access your NAS wired. If you for example use your MacBook to access it via wifi then it won't make a difference.

19. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Internet connection speed doesn't matter as you will use the NAS when you're at home and in your network.

You can remote into it from outside but u do that less frequent and it would be slow.