Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inkllicious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
I'm looking to stream music to my car (2011 Toyota Corolla) and as far as I know, it only has "Bluetooth Calling"

Any sort of hack/mod/legitimate app (Or illegitimate, I don't mind) That takes advantage of this and plays music through my car?

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
What do you mean stream music to your car? From your iTunes account? The simple method is to just use an aux cable from vehicle to device. You can play from the 'iPod' feature or an internet radio like 'Pandora'.

Last edited:

Inkllicious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
What do you mean stream music to your car? From your iTunes account? The simple method and to just use an aux cable from your vehicle to your device. You can play from the 'iPod' feature or a internet radio like 'Pandora'.

I know about Aux options. however I ended up frying my headphone jack in an experiment so bluetooth is kinda the way I have to go.

Looking to stream local music from my Iphone to my car via bluetooth, but they're not "Bluetooth speakers" But my car supports "Bluetooth calling" Any sort of .. program, that modifies anything .. or whatever.. Not sure how to explain it. That streams music via bluetooth to a car, making the car believe its a call?

ani23

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
How did you manage to fry your jack? It's the simplest and safest connection.

Use an fm transmitter. Or one of those cassette adapters . Or get a iphone kit fom your dealership. I don't think bt is possible.

Inkllicious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
How did you manage to fry your jack? It's the simplest and safest connection.

Use an fm transmitter. Or one of those cassette adapters . Or get a iphone kit fom your dealership. I don't think bt is possible.

I was repairing a speaker system and used my iphone to test it. I managed to cross one of the power wires onto the output jack and thus.. cook cook.. Left it in for a while figuring out why music wasn't playing.. Too late time I realised. :l Phone still works, oddly enough.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
your car needs something that supports A2Dp. A few options:

1. You can get a head unit that supports this. I had a nice one from kenwood in my last car.
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KCA-BT200-Bluetooth-Hands-free-Unit/dp/B0016OMF20

2. You can get an add-on unit that adds bluetooth A2Dp, such as the Parrot Mki9100. I have that one in my wife's car. It works nicely. (automatically plays music when you start driving, iphone stays in your pocket).

3. You can use a Bluetooth adapter such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Bluetooth-Transport-Headphone-GBMH221/dp/B000VSFNQM
I got that one for like $10 after rebate. I use it at home connected to my home stereo to stream music from my ipod.

Drewsky87

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
MD
If your sound system is still stock (since you were just "experimenting") take it to the dealer to get your AUX jack fixed. I'm sure you still have a warranty on a 2011 car.

Inkllicious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
If your sound system is still stock (since you were just "experimenting") take it to the dealer to get your AUX jack fixed. I'm sure you still have a warranty on a 2011 car.

Sounds like he fried his iPhone's headphone jack, not his car's AUX jack.
^ That.

I did it a long time ago. I got a 3GS because of it, but I cracked the screen on it and the OCD in me cannot handle using a cracked screen... LOL so back to old 3g.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
If the aux still works in your car jack then go buy a Airport Express and power converter. Setup the airport express in the car and just hide it somewhere and then just run a headphone wire from it to the car aux. Then use airplay to wirelessly stream music.

Inkllicious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
If the aux still works in your car jack then go buy a Airport Express and power converter. Setup the airport express in the car and just hide it somewhere and then just run a headphone wire from it to the car aux. Then use airplay to wirelessly stream music.

Airplay
>3G
>3.1.3

Interesting idea but doesn't apply to me. :(

ThaDoggg

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2010
Burlington, Canada
Fm transmitter will work. Just got one from dx and it's great quality. Also holds my iPhone in place so that I can take a quick glance at it and am able to read the song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inkllicious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Fm transmitter will work. Just got one from dx and it's great quality. Also holds my iPhone in place so that I can take a quick glance at it and am able to read the song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't that disort the sound a little bit though, considering its a small radio signal? I'm interested but I'm not sure about that.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
Wouldn't that disort the sound a little bit though, considering its a small radio signal? I'm interested but I'm not sure about that.

Sound quality from Worst to best:

Wireless FM Transmitter
Wired FM Transmitter
Cassette Adapter
Bluetooth A2DP
1/8" Aux In
Dock Connector - the one a few posts up that is toyota-specific would work well.

Also, I didn't think of this before, but something like this will work and probably be the lowest cost.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
In my 94 Camry I just installed a new head unit that has a USB connector I can plug a dock-connector cable in. Excellent investment. Also has bluetooth calling but I don't think that can be used for music.

Inkllicious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Sound quality from Worst to best:

Wireless FM Transmitter
Wired FM Transmitter
Cassette Adapter
Bluetooth A2DP
1/8" Aux In
Dock Connector - the one a few posts up that is toyota-specific would work well.

Also, I didn't think of this before, but something like this will work and probably be the lowest cost.

Now that looks like a plan! Awesome! I ordered one that was for audio (You gave me a link to a video out? I have no clue)

Apparently it comes from Hong Kong.. Well that'll be a good few weeks..

Thank you for shopping with us. Here is your PayPal receipt number. Please keep it in a safe place as you will need it to track and confirm your order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.