Looking to sync two Macs, for free

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trevor.resar, Sep 7, 2009.

1. trevor.resar macrumors newbie

I own an iMac, and a MacBook Pro,

Ideally I would like to have the same computer on two different machines. The things I want mirrored between the to would be my media (itunes,iphoto,etc)

I know mobile me would sync my ical, address book etc, but im not looking to spend 100 dollars per year to keep my machines synced.

Any ideas?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Enable file sharing from System Preferences (System Pref -> Sharing -> Check file sharing and add your Home folder or whatever you want to share). I think it should work this way, someone correct me if it doesn't.

This video may help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKb9GA3v2lQ

3. trevor.resar thread starter macrumors newbie

will this constantly mirror the files, or just let me use files from the "host" computer?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The latter. You could try Dropbox, although you do have to pay for the 50 GB plan. (2 GB is free.)

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Here are a few methods you could use. Using terminal and rsync seems to be the best solution. Also Synk seems like a good solution as well, but you do have to pay for it.

6. belvdr macrumors 603

I second that.

I use rsync from the command line to sync all my files. You need sharing enabled on one of the machines. It then only updates any files that have changed.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Also keep in mind Microsoft's Live Mesh service. Free, and it can sync any files across any number of computers.

8. paradiso macrumors newbie

looking to sync two macs for free

Hope its ok to ask here because I am wanting to sync (and in so doing also back up) all the data on both my macs (older G4 desktop and powerbook) Terminal and rsync, what are they and how do I find them?

thanks

9. xplnusa macrumors regular

Would it work just to take the time machine off my iMac and then plug it into my MBP once in a while and do the migration assistant? The iMac is the more important one, it has all the photos and iTunes and such, but it would be nice to have basically the same machine that I can take on the road with me. Then when I get back the new files from each computer merge together. Not sure if something like this is possible, but would be great.

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

No reason it wouldn't work on older operating systems...part of Unix too. Terminal is located in Applications>Utilities. rsync is a command line program. Here is some information. Please, for your own sake, perform a complete backup before you try anything with these two tools lol.