Looking to take a "pro-sumer" video course (online?)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sym0, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

Guys, since switching to mac a year ago I have wanted to exploit the video making capabilities of iMovie and then maybe Final Cut Pro or something. Just looking to make much more polished home videos of the kids, and family trips. Not really to share much beyond close friends and family.

I don't want to be a professional but would like to learn how to better plan my clip, chose the right scenes in the right order and make the most of the effects to polish it up. Also I want something like a go pro that the kids can hold and take shots from their perspective at times etc, like getting different ways to take recordings etc.

I know how to use the software (but can learn more), so I don't really think more tutorials is what I am after iMovie at least.

Is there anything like what I am after?

2. daybreak macrumors 6502a

From what you have informed us. You best bet would be to go and make your videos and then learn the skill of editing. It is all about simplicity for your viewer to watch your work and keeping a good family records on video.
    Yes FCP is a more adventures software than iMovie, but will it improve your skill.
    Why not try your local college to see if the have any editing course.:)

3. jtrainor56 macrumors regular

jtrainor56

Try Udemy, I actually signed up for free without buying anything, eventually I received an email that let me signup for eight courses at ten dollars a piece.

https://www.udemy.com/

4. Attonine macrumors 6502a

The only limits to editing are your knowledge of what the software can do and your imagination.

I would second Daybreak's suggestion. If you really feel like you want to do something more, maybe work through the FCP books from Peachpit?

Unless your local college has something, I think this level of course will start to get expensive. I suppose you could look at Maine Media workshops to see if they have any offering which interests you. There are always summer schools by the likes of Digital Media Academy, they may have something near you which could be possible. Neither of these options are online though.

5. geomiga macrumors newbie

Lynda.com has been a great reference for me. It has a lot of fcpx courses, and general video/film courses which you could transpose into iMovie workflows.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Lynda. All levels of courses. There's a free trial.