Looking to turn my Xbox 360 into a poor man's Apple TV

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by neoelectronaut, Apr 22, 2011.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

So I've got a Xbox 360 hooked up on to the "main" TV in the house, and I'm looking to rip my entire DVD library for viewing on it over the home network.

Now, a few years ago I tried a program to stream my music library to the Xbox, Connect360, and it worked pretty well, but it seems that it hasn't been updated in a few years, so I'm looking for a current alternative I should check out.

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

They haven't really updated it at all. I use this as a guide to see what will and wont play on my 360. But once I started getting HD content I kind of gave up on streaming through my 360. I just use my laptop and stream from my G4 tower.

I tried using PS3 Server but could never figure it out. I hear is transcodes files on the fly to a readable formate.

3. dj-anon macrumors member

dj-anon

Playback is perfect, but it costs $15.

http://www.yazsoft.com/products/playback/

I use Serviio, not really user friendly but it is free and does the job even if it doesn't have the integration with OS X like playback does.

4. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I've also seeing Rivet. Any thoughts on Playback vs Rivet?

5. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

http://www.vuze.com/ works pretty well too, and is free. It'll convert stuff into supported formats too. I haven't used the torrent side of it, just the streaming bit, so can't comment on that. Pretty simple, drag n drop, it'll convert if it needs to, then ya mac shows up as -(VUZE)-Big Al or whatever on the xbox, with all ya movies on there