Looking to update macbook 2011 internally. I have a few questions though.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gc15, Nov 14, 2015.

1. gc15 macrumors regular

So I am waiting to see if any black friday deals come out for a ssd and ram, but ideally this is what i want correct?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OBRE5UE...olid=1DO90RVOYQZVG&coliid=I418OVA6AS4SY&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LDLVAO...lid=1DO90RVOYQZVG&coliid=I3894QH7UZ4NZJ&psc=1

Now when i do actually decide to update, what is the best process of doing this. My mac is currently on mavericks, so should i update to el capitan before i install the hard drive and then use a time machine backup; or should i try to do a fresh install and then transfer everything via an adaptor? I could also move everything over first then do an update to el capitan. Heck would you guys even update to the latest OS for my 4 year old mac?

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Get hold of an external USB drive connecvtor or caddy and an 8GB USB drive), download a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner, then I would:

1. Download the El-Capitan installer (download the update, quit when it starts, copy the installer file from Applications to the Desktop).
    2. Make a bootable El-Capitan USB drive (8GB), using DiskmakerX and the El-Capitan installer file.
    3. Open up your MBP and install the SSD and RAM, close it back up.
    4. Put the HDD in the caddy or connect it to a USB port
    5. Option-key-boot from the external HDD
    6. Partition your SSD as required
    7. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your HDD to the SSD
    8. Reboot from the SSD
    9. Check everything is as you want it.
    10. Upgrade to El-Capitan as required, at all times you have a fallback to the original OS on the HDD.
    11. Bootable USB is "just in case", keep it in case you ever want a blank install of El-Capitan.
    12. Marvel at the new performance of your MBP :)

I've used this on a number of occasions, it doesn't involve any existing backup TM drive(s) you have so leaves you with max fallback/restore options should any of the new hardware or cloning go pear-shaped.