Looking to updgrade from OS X 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bhillegass, Jul 16, 2012.

1. bhillegass macrumors newbie

Hello all :)

New to macs here. I recently purchased an older macbook (black early 2007). The current OS is at 10.4 and I would like to at least get to 10.5 to be able to run bootcamp stock. I see there are options to go to 10.6 on apples website, but I am having trouble finding where to get the software for 10.5. Is this something I can just get on amazon? Thanks for your help!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just get 10.6. It'll run fine (as long as you have enough RAM, which you should consider upgrading if you don't, even if you weren't going to upgrade your OS), and there's no need to spend the money on 10.5 as an intermediate. It's also easy to find still.

jW

3. bhillegass thread starter macrumors newbie

I was under the impression I couldn't just jump to 10.6, but if thats the case i'll jump right up to it!

4. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Yes sir you can. Just purchase the Snow Leopard Retail disc from Apple for $29, pop it in your machine, and install OS X 10.6. Should not be any issues. What are the hardware specs, year, and model of your machine?

5. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Snow Leopard should be an awesome upgrade for you :D. It runs quite well on those older machines. Yours in fact can run Lion, but you probably won't experience the same speed you're used to with Tiger.

----------

technically, you can install any version of OS X over top of your version except Lion (which involves some hacking as it requires Snow leopard to install)

6. eboyblue3 macrumors newbie

eboyblue3

As he said.

7. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I was skimming what he typed. My bad.