Looking to upgrade and need advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by grumplekey, Jan 10, 2015.

1. grumplekey macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I'm currently using a 2010 macbook pro 15' with an ssd and 8 gigs of ram. The computer still works absolutely great for all my needs apart from an occasional issue where the screen flickers green but it rarely lasts longer than 5 minutes. I've been thinking about upgrading to a new laptop for a long time but am having a hard time deciding what to get.

I am a medical student so most of my time is spent doing schoolwork. I also develop web applications as a hobby. I've thought about upgrading to the 13' rMBP (refurb or non-refurb.. doesn't really matter much) or possibly a 13' macbook air for the exceptional battery life. I've also thought about getting one of the excellent windows laptops out there like the xps 13 by dell; however, i don't think i can stomach using windows again so thats most likely out of the equation.

I'm not looking to spend a ton of money.. preferably under $1200-1300 although i am willing to spend more to future proof the machine.

Do you guys recommend i buy any of the machines i listed above? Or should i wait until the end of the year and get a broadwell based macbook?

2. kjmff5 macrumors regular

Hi there. So I know where you're coming from. I am a current resident. After going through med school, I am now realizing that portability isn't a big deal. I have a MacBook air 13" and have been using it in clamshellode for a few years now, rarely taking it out. I use my iPad with a keyboard at work. But, I don't do web app creation, so that could change thing.

For you, air is the best for portability. Retina is the best for power. If portability isn't needed, I'd highly recommend an iMac.

As far as waiting for processors, if you need it grav it. If not, it could be a long wait before the next macs come out

3. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

I've had many 15" Apple laptops in the past and currently use a 13" rMBP as my main travel machine. I love the size - for me it's the perfect balance of portability and power. Take a trip to an Apple Store and see if you like it in person. It looks like the refurb store has quite a few options that fit your budget: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro