Looking to upgrade from my iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gogogut, Sep 28, 2015.

1. gogogut macrumors member

I am excited by all the new Apple products, but am a little confused on what to make of the fact that the regular iPad was not upgraded. I am still using a iPad 2 which is getting a little long in the tooth and was hoping to score a reduced price on the Air 2 once the Air 3 was announced. Well as you know, no updates and the iPad Air 2 is still the "latest" model with the highest price.

I am willing to go refurbished from Apple, but am not sure if getting an Air 2 now makes sense. Without the reduced price, it is a little too expensive for me. And getting the Air 1 seems like a poor choice for taking advantage of the latest innovations.

So I guess what I am asking is: should I bite the bullet on an Air 2, get an Air, or keep waiting to see if the line gets some sort of update that lowers these prices?
    Thanks,
    RJ

2. Celebion macrumors member

Celebion

The iPad Air 2 is a solid device. I expect there will be more discounts come Black Friday. Like your iPad 2, the iPad Air 2 is one of those devices that will last for a couple of years.

I just recently updated my iPad 2. I went with an iPad Mini 4. So, if you can live with the mini form factor and don't find any discount on the iPad Air 2, you might want to have a looke at the iPad Mini 4.

3. gogogut thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it just feels strange buying last year's model, even if it is the latest. Especially with what appears a sharp upturn in innovations from Apple. I hope the Air 2 doesn't get left in the dust quickly. The 2GB ram seems promising. I just wish it were a little cheaper. I missed the Staples deal last week. I would have jumped on that immediately if I had seen it. Next time?

4. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

hold out for Black Friday deals if you are in the us, that may be the best time to get the iPad Air 2. Wouldn't hurt to check out your weekly circulars of local retailers and tech stores until then. Target, Staples and Best Buy have all had some sort of deals lately.

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah I'd get a new unit on sale rather than a refurb. I don't like how Best Buy handles iPads, but sometimes they will have $100 off and if you combine it with a movers coupon, you can save up to say $170 on an iPad depending on model.

Sometimes for the best return policy, etc. though Apple.com is best. There is some value to good customer service. They'll probably give something like a $50 iTunes card if you wait until black friday, of course, the big savings you have to do Best Buy or another third party.

6. gogogut thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. I so wished I had seen that Staples deal last week. I will keep an eye out.

7. newellj macrumors 601

Buy the Air 2. It's still ahead of the Mini 4 (better, 3-core SoC, better GPU). It has legs for years. There is no reason not to buy an Apple refurb. Refurbs are as good as new and roughly 15% off, or wait for a Black Friday sale if you're patient.

8. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

While I personally love the mini for its portability, I think you should buy the Air 2 if that's the form factor you prefer. Getting a device you enjoy using for the next few years is more important than in my opinion than a relatively small difference in cost. And with the sales, the mini may not be cheaper anyway. This deal still seems to be going on:

http://9to5toys.com/2015/09/29/apple-ipad-air-2-ebay-deals-2/

(from this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...le-but-possible-first-time-mini-user.1923729/ )

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

IMO too much faith is placed on Black Friday sales to get an Air 2 at a great discount. Last year, the "normal" sale was $100 off. Target had $140 gift card (buy the Air 2 at regular price and get a $140 Target gift card...not the same as getting $140 off) . Quantities were insufficient to meet customer demand. So it isn't a "given" as some may imply.

My advice: keep an eagle-eye out for sales between now and then. Jump on the first sale on an Air 2 that is $100 or more off.

Staples had sales on the Air 2 for 3 consecutive weeks... $50, $100, and $150 off respectively. That won't happen again, but there may be a retailer in a similar situation to offer a sale before Black Friday.

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

If iPad Refurbs are as good as iPhone 6 refurbs, I would stay well clear of them. You can buy a new one for less than a refurb if you watch the sales and have coupons ready.

However, I agree that the iPad Air 2 is a terrific device. If the Pro ends up looking and feeling too big, I'm picking up an Air 2 myself.

11. newellj macrumors 601

In general, except for very limited periods during the year, you can't beat the refurb prices, which run 15-17% off retail. Black Friday can be an exception. The recent, and very exceptional, Staples sale was an exception. Most days, if you want it this week, the refurbs are the best and cheapest bet. BTW, buy only Apple refurbs, not third party refurbs (which may not even be refurbished and sometimes don't seem to have been even given a cursory inspection).

By the way, Best Buy's return policy is basically the same as Apple's. Other stores may have very different return policies. Make sure you understand the return policy before you buy.

12. Aximalli147 macrumors newbie

The Air 2 is a fantastic device. I upgraded from the iPad 3 and have never looked back. It's been out long enough now that a lot of places like Best Buy or sellers on Amazon have good discounts on it. If you can get one of those deals, absolutely get the Air 2.

13. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

The Air 2 is the latest device you can get today anyway. However, I wouldn't pay top dollar for that device. Look out for any sales or discounts. Or buy a refurb.

14. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Don't get the iPad Air - get the 2 if you go with a Air.