Looking to upgrade graphics card. Help please!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MrPyronaut, Jan 6, 2012.

1. MrPyronaut macrumors newbie

I have recently installed Windows in my Mac with the intention of playing Skyrim, but I found out that my gfx card sucks. In fact, when I try to play Hearts or Solitaire on Windows it gives me a warning about my hardware acceleration and the game runs poorly.

I currently have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120. I feel I should upgrade this, but I don't have a whole ton of money (around $100 is about my spending ceiling) plus I have no idea what the hell I am doing. Any recommendations?

2. simsaladimbamba

That seems to be a Windows problems, as I could play those games in the 90s without hiccups. I guess the GPUs were less capable then than they are now.

You probably have an Early 2009 iMac?
    I don't know of a way to upgrade the GPU on those iMacs, as they are soldered onto the logic board, AFAIK.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/iMac_Intel
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...o-2.93-24-inch-aluminum-early-2009-specs.html

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads, as this question comes up a lot:
    [​IMG]

3. MrPyronaut thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, simsaladimbamba.

Yeah, I have a 24" 2009 iMac. *heavy sigh* That sucks. Thanks for all the info, though!

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I would try updating your graphics drivers from the Nvidia site. That improved the performance greatly on my old Mac Mini when I did.

5. Maximal macrumors newbie

Yeah just make sure you have a upgraded driver installed.