Looking to Upgrade Macbook - Help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maclovin', Jan 1, 2009.

1. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

I have a couple questions....I'm looking to upgrade my Macbook's RAM and hard drive, and need some advice. I have a Black 2.4GHz Macbook(bought July/August of 2008), and want to know if this RAM is compatible with it. As far as I can tell it is, and it is an insanely good deal, so I can't easily pass it up. My second question is about the HDD. I currently have the standard 250GB HDD, and want to upgrade to either the Seagate/Western Digital 500GB internal HDD. First....which is better, second....if I bought the Seagate there's a bundle that also comes with an enclosure that I could use for my current HDD for backups/extra storage.....but it's only USB, so is that fast enough?

Thanks.

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

sorry, the RAM is not compatible, but this RAM is.

HDD is personal preference. I am partial to WD, because the sound of the drive seeking is the least annoying to my ear. if you do end up going with the seagate, the USB interface is fine.

3. maclovin' thread starter macrumors regular

maclovin'

Thanks, that kind of sucks......just out of curiosity, what makes it incompatible?

4. hhlee macrumors 6502

i just stick with crucial memory - they're not the cheapest but they're cheap enough and they have a lifetime guarantee.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

The ones you chose are desktop chips. They won't fit...

6. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

mbopy22

I got my 4GB combo RAM at crucial, they work flawlessly and they have a great customer service.

One question, is there any site that sells HD's like crucial sales RAM, I mean where can it tell you and guarantee you that the specific HD will fit your specific model of Mac

I have a blackbook 2.2 C2D that I got in March 2008 with 160GB I want to upgrade the HD, how much does this model tolerate? where can I buy it?

Thanks

7. svndmvn Guest

as long as it's 2.5", I believe under 9mm, it can take up to 500GB and either 7200rpm or 5400rpm.

8. drmemory macrumors newbie

The RAM module has to be DDR2 SODIMM, 200pin, 667 or 800MHz, CL5. The SODIMMs are 2.6" wide (DIMMs are 5.25" wide and won't physically fit)

The MacBooks in late 2008 were DDR3, and while the same size (2.6", have the notch in a different location, to stop the module from fitting in a DDR2 socket. DDR3 SODIMMs have 204 pins.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd choose SeaGate's HDD. Or even better, Hitachi. Apple uses Hitachi as the OEM for their notebooks, so the HDD in you're using right now (except MBA) is probably Hitachi.

10. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Here are my beliefs.

1) I always use either Hitachi or Seagate. If you want a big drive for a notebook, go hitachi. They have a travelstar drive that is 500 GB SATA for about 150, if you search you can find it.
    2) Go to www.crucial.com and use the computer finder thing on the home page to identify your exact model. Crucial/micron memory is THE best in the business. Good quality, fair price.
    3) You can find guides on how to open up and perform the maintenance at iFixit. They have very good guides.

11. maclovin' thread starter macrumors regular

maclovin'

Wow....thanks everyone for the info, you guys know a bunch more about how to do it than I do!! I'll probably go with the Seagate HDD then, and I'll grab the RAM from Crucial.....although is there anywhere in Canada that has the same quality RAM?? The exchange kinda jacks the price of that RAM from Crucial.

Thanks again!!