Looking to upgrade my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Colton22, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Colton22 macrumors newbie

im looking to upgrade my Late 2012 Model MBP

Current Specs:
    2.9GHz dual-core
    Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 4MB L3 cache
    8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
    750GB 5400-rpm hard drive
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 (
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching (2.3GHz 15-inch model).

I want to upgrade it to the best specs that i can possibly get.

i'm mainly using it for Video Editing and 3D Modeling
    If it matters the programs i use mostly are:
    Adobe After Effects CS6
    Adobe Photshop CS6
    Cinema 4D R13

2. i make movies macrumors regular

Well, considering it's a laptop and you have a spinner hard drive, you don't have the retinaMBP. Luckily, you can update the memory and hard drive.

For max performance, take out the optical drive. Buy the data doubler and 2 matched SSD from OWC

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/

set up the 2 drives in a RAID0.

Then max out the memory.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3_1600MHz_SDRAM

If you had the retina, you could only update the hard drive as the memory is soldiered onto the logic board. If you want to update anything else, sell you laptop and buy a new one.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The only feasible upgrades you can do to your current machine, outside of replacing it with a 15-inch MacBook Pro, would be the storage and RAM. The former I would change to a solid-state disk (SSD). If you can get away with a 256 GB drive, they can typically be had for US$200 or less, sometimes around $150-170 if you catch a good sale. The latter item can be changed to 16 GB, which is about $100-120.

Regarding the post above this one, RAID-0 is generally a bad idea. Unless you're taking nightly backups, the increase in storage performance is more than offset by the fact that if one of the drives fails, it takes your whole system down with it.