Looking to Upgrade My Old Macbook, Help?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RushRealSlow, Oct 9, 2009.

1. RushRealSlow macrumors newbie

Okay, so I'm finishing up my last year of my undergrad degree in English education. When I graduate, it's off to the real world and finding a teaching job. My macbook was the lowest end I could buy at the time and I think it might be time to upgrade it. Here are some specs:
    Processor: 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    and I'm not sure what the video card is or the memory on my mac for the hard drive (all I know is I never have more than 5gb available!)

The only thing I would use my computer for is general use and to play WoW. I was thinking about upgrading to the lowest version of the imac:
    Processor is 2.66 GHz and 2gb of RAM with a better video card and 260gb of hard drive space (1,000 refurbished.) Do you think the upgrade is worth the money? Also, how would WoW run on this?

2. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

Bump the Ram to 2 GB or even 4 GB and see how you like it. I don't think you'll benefit too much from a new machine.

Also, new harddrives are very affordable and easy to install. Check newegg/Amazon for combo deals

3. RushRealSlow thread starter macrumors newbie

Would I be able to upgrade that generation of macbook to 4gb of ram? Also, how do I know what to buy / what is capatable with my machine? I didn't know that you could upgrade the RAM on a mac, so this sounds like a solution to my problem :)

4. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

sell your current mac on ebay and buy a new refurbished MBP ...they're awesome :D and then buy an external display...

5. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Any of the current gen Macs will play WoW acceptably. There really is no wrong answer. Just buy what you want. My only suggestion is to get 4GB of ram.

6. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

lol. yet another 'i need an upgrade' thread where the user does absolutely nothing on his/her computer except surfing and playing WoW.

you don't need the upgrade. save your money and do something worthwhile with it.

7. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Best advice I can give is to keep what you got and put a little money into it in a hard drive and memory. It CAN support 4GB of RAM, but it may only be able to utilize about 3.X GB of it. You need a SATA hard drive - you probably currently have 80GB. Here are my suggestions (both from Newegg - can't go wrong with them!)

Hard drive: WD Scorpio Blue 320GB - $59.99 and free shipping

(NOTE: You CAN get a faster, 7200rpm hard drive, but these are more expensive and eat your battery faster. Sometimes you may get a vibration from them, too. Others will probably disagree with me on this, but this is my experience and I actually HAVE a white Macbook. However, it does have more cache and is faster... your call there.)

Memory: PNY Optima 2GB DDR2 667MHz (2) - $19.99 each after rebate (buy 2)

(NOTE: If you want to save a little money, get a 1GB stick as the second one, though I would recommend just spending a bit more to get a matched pair.)

Good luck! I'm sure you'll find these upgrades will make a HUGE difference in your Macbook - I know the memory really sped mine up!

8. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502