Looking to upgrade RAM for '08 Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheBeastman13, Mar 5, 2012.

1. TheBeastman13 macrumors regular

I am finding my old Macbook is having trouble running Final Cut Express 4 quickly and efficiently(ie long render times). This is a lack of RAM issue, correct? My 2008 Macbook is a 2.4GHz Core2Duo with 2GB(1 and 1 Apple factory config) of 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM. I perused OWC.com and see I can get a 2 and 4 config for about $130. Is upgrading to 6GB overkill for editing? Also, what happens to the information stored on the 2GB of RAM; /how/why /should/can I get that info onto these new chips? These may be novice questions, but Ive never thought to install new RAM for editing(Im a college film student looking to get the best for what I can afford).

2. simsaladimbamba

Since FCE can't use more than 2 GB of RAM, 6 GB Might be overkill and 4 GB might be an okay upgrade.

3. TheBeastman13 thread starter macrumors regular

If FCE4 uses only 2GB and I have that 2GB already, why the need for more than 2GB?

Thanks for the help, IM NEW!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's a combination of processor speed and available RAM.
    Not necessarily. To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

RAM is temporary storage. As soon as you shut down your computer, RAM contents are emptied. You don't "transfer" RAM contents to new RAM. Your computer manages RAM completely, without your involvement.

5. simsaladimbamba

If FCE wants to use all that 2 GB RAM, which it might or might not, there would be no room for the OS and other applications.
    Thus 4 GB RAM is better than 2 GB RAM.
    Open Activity Monitor and select All Processes and then sort by Real Mem to show you the process(es) using up your RAM.

6. TheBeastman13 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I will have to try that later this week. I am getting a new project tomorrow morning so I will have something to test your theory with. So, more RAM helps FCE4 render faster, or is the slow rendering bc of my older 2.4Ghz Core2Duo? The help is much appreciated. I have a feeling that I will need to upgrade to at least 4GB. Which leads to my next question, which is better, and why, 2GB and 2GB config, or one 4GB chip(which leaves the second RAM slot empty?)?

Thanks for the help, you two.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8. TheBeastman13 thread starter macrumors regular

Once again, GGJStudios, thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.