Looking to upgrade RAM, what about warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Amerabian, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Amerabian macrumors regular

Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade my RAM to either 8Gb or 16Gb..

Where would I get the best deal and what's best to use?

Also, wouldn't I loose warranty if I do it myself? Would Apple do it for me if I order the chips online then take it to an Apple store?

I've searched in the forums and there are so many different opinions and different websites to order from, so I thought I'll start a new thread and get my own advice :rolleyes:

So, advice please

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Kingston has nice RAM, but I would find it on Newegg, they have some of the best prices for RAM around. I have been using two 4 GB sticks in my MBP from Corsair and it's been awesome and smooth sailing, and they were the cheapest ones on Newegg, and if I remember right, I got them for 80 bucks 2 months ago, so I imagine they're even cheaper.

Crucial is a VERY NICE place to look too, and easy to find RAM for your system. I suggest this place as well, but compare prices to Newegg and even Amazon

4. Amerabian thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info bb!

I think I'm gonna go with these

They're DDR3 @1333Mhz and seem to have 250+ good reviews :rolleyes:

Now off to SSD research :cool:

5. bb426, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Anytime! That's what I'm here for :D

Ahh, same exact ones I got, I'm hella jealous of that price hahah :p

SSD stuff is a little sketch. Definitely do some research (there are tons of threads here pertaining to SSD's, problems, success/failure, guides, and advice). A SATA II SSD may be your best bet, but choose for yourself.

Just remember that when looking for an SSD for speed, don't worry about SATA II/III, because that does not necessarily determine speed. Look for the actual SPEED of the drive (i.e. read/write speeds).

Do make sure you follow GGJstudios's advice and read up on your warranty information and understand it before you go the route that many follow when they buy an SSD (replacing the Optical Drive with a HDD, etc, may void your warranty[ies]). You are not far off from a very nice MBP experience :)

I myself have a SATA III Kingston HyperX SSD. Very fast (520+/- MB/s read, 500+/- MB/s write), but problematic at times (needs a yet to be released update from either Kingston or Apple to fix it, as do many other SSD drives).