Looking to upgrade to an SSD - Compatibility?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Capex, May 1, 2014.

1. Capex macrumors regular

I own a Mid-2009 13" MBP.

I was looking at this and thinking of buying it:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSD7E3G240/

Is there anything special I need to do outside of the usual transfer of all my data? Once it's ready can I just install it like a regular hard drive? Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That drive will work in your MBP and you just swap it out like a normal hard drive. No difference because it is an SSD.

That said, that drive is a total ripoff. That is a 3Gbps SATA II drive. You can hardly even find SATA II drives for sale any more as everything is now SATA III. Now your Mac does not support SATA III speeds anyway, so it will make little difference, but having a SATA III drive would set you up if you ever want to move it over to a newer Mac that does have SATA III.

You can buy a brand new Samsung EVO from Amazon for $149. I see zero reason to buy yesterday's technology from OWC for two dollars less. If they knocked that thing down to $100 or so, then it might be worth considering.

3. Capex thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply.

If I end up upgrading, this likely will be the one then. I have all the tools, and I've swapped hard drives before so it's not unfamiliar territory.