Looking to upgrade to retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by .Logan, Jan 29, 2014.

1. .Logan macrumors member

Hello,

I currently have an early 13-inch 2011 MacBook Pro (2.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, no SSD).

I find my current machine is just kind of sluggish, boot is slow, etc. I've had it checked out multiple time under Apple Care hardware is all good nothing wrong, and that boot time is expected. So I think the machine is just no longer meeting my expectations and I need something quicker.

Would an upgrade to a 13in retina Macbook Pro be much different from what I have now? I assume the SSD would be a significant speed boost. Are the displays that nice?

Just trying to decide if it would be worth the upgrade, and whether now is the time to by the retina or if there is "better hardware" recently released waiting to be implemented that I should wait for.

Thanks so much!

2. kelon111, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

kelon111 macrumors 6502

Why don't you add an SSD to your current MacBook Pro?

Just adding an SSD can make an old computer feel like a new one.

3. .Logan thread starter macrumors member

I've considered it. What's the best resource for how-to install and recommended kinds of SSDs?

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Youtube: SSD macbook pro upgrade ...

SSD: samsung EVO

5. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Will it be much different? Not really.

I just received my rMBP today and truthfully I am the least impressed with the screen over everything else. I am not saying the retina screen is not better. What I am saying is that the thinness and weight of the rMBP is what is most appealing to me. I could actually be happy with the old display in this form factor. The old display is actually very nice IMHO.

If you have the money and can afford the rMBP, then go for it as it is better all around. However, you aren't going to get a computer that is dramatically different.

I think some people over exaggerate how much different the retina display is. It's better....but it's not like driving a Mercedes over driving a Kia like some people say.

6. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

7. JunkyJeff macrumors newbie

I'm kinda with this guy. I just got my rMBP and well its nice, the form factor is probably what sold me the most. Yeah it has the retina display, but honestly I could probably do without it.

So yeah, why not throw in a SSD? It's pretty cheap now anyways.