Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MK25toLife

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Hello,

I am pretty sure my hard drive is done for. I have everything backed up on Time Machine to an external hard drive. Ideally I would like to upgrade to a 1TB SSD drive and restore everything from TM which was running El Capitan.

I am planning to do this upgrade on my own. Does everything I just described above sound feasible? Can someone help me find the appropriate SSD drive to buy that is compatible?

Below is the info for my Mac.

image.jpeg

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
What you want to do is definitely feasible. A 1TB Samsung EVO 850 is a good drive that will work with your machine (any SSD with SATA will work). Besides that you will need an adapter/bracket to convert from 3.5" to 2.5". Or double sided tape.

Berlepsch

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
MadDane gave you the right tips. From my experience, I would add that the mounting bracket for the original HDD will not work with every 2.5" adapter; I couldn't use the one that I bought with the new drive. Since the SSD is quite light and does not vibrate, I just used double sided tape to fix the SSD to the back casing of the iMac.

You can find detailed descriptions and videos how to replace a disk in the 2007 iMacs on the internet - with the help of these and the proper tools the process isn't very difficult. Just watch out for the cables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.