Looking to upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Donia330i, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Donia330i, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015

Donia330i macrumors regular

I've been using a late 2008 aluminum MacBook with a 1.1GHz core 2 Duo since, well 2009. I am ready to upgrade now. Is this new MacBook faster than my current model? Will I be able to notice a difference? Will it be a vast improvement? I know the screen we'll be a great improvement but I am more concerned about processing power. I am torn between the new MacBook and a 13" air. I mainly use my Mac for the web, some documents, iOS backup, photo backups and will start to do some app codingand hope increase that as time continues. I do not plan on using an photoshop or video editing. I do not want any lagging or app bouncing waiting for an app to load. Right now it takes my Mac about 10 good minutes to turn on and be ready for use. Please give me your thoughts and insight. Thank you

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

There is no doubt that the new Macbook will feel lightning fast to you. The only time you will incur delay on this machine is in waiting for something that is CPU bound, which is not anything that most people do casually other than gaming.

Don't buy the Air unless budget is the primary concern. It feels woefully outdated compared to the Macbook.

3. Donia330i thread starter macrumors regular

The Air I would purchase is a around $1500 as compared to the base rmb that is only $1299. I don't need storage as much as I would like more ram..

Also I have an iPad Air now and will be upgrading in the fall to the iPad Air 3. Should this influence my decision at all?

4. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

The MB would be serviceable for your needs, though it's not primarily intended for app coding... if coding is (or becomes) a priority for you, I think you'd appreciate the MBP instead. The MB's primary purpose is to be an ultralight notebook for portability, while still being a solid OS X computer... it's not a desktop replacement like the MBP can get away with to a certain degree.

As zhenya said, the MB will be a world of difference faster than your old MB. The Air is still a great computer, but it's not going to be much faster at compiling code, and personally I wouldn't want a computer without a retina screen.

If the extra portability of the MB is really important to you, get the MB. If you can live with a little less portability and think you're really going to get into programming, get the MBP.

5. jjhoekstra macrumors regular

I bought my MB as iPad-replacement. For me the iPad always felt a bit too cumbersome for anything related to creation or production. So I see my MB as a powerful iPad with 256 Gb and a very nice and flexible OS. Haven't used my iPad air since I got my MB. And the screen stays clean! The only disadvantage I see is that I miss "Fog of world".

6. rajivhifi macrumors member

I upgraded from a 2008 aluminum Macbook as well, to the base 1.1 version rMB. You'll notice a world of difference in the new machine. If you like a larger screen then choose the MBA but its not as sharp or pleasing to look at like the rMB. For the programs you intend to use you should be fine with the rMB.

7. Donia330i thread starter macrumors regular

I use my iPad Air about 90% of the time. I just found it easier, more portable and think I prefer iOS over OS X. That being said it may also be to due to the fact my Mac is so out dated and slow but with my interest in coding and needing a real machine with a keyboard I'm sure this will change.

8. Donia330i thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, I'm starting to realize for a couple hundred dollars more I can get a far more powerful machine and still have the retina screen. And the MBP is only slightly heavier than the Air.

9. brand, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015

brand macrumors 601

brand

No MacBook prior to the MacBook 8,1 has ever had a 1.1GHz processor in it. The Aluminum MacBook 5,1 came with a 2.0GHz or a 2.4GHz processor.