Looking to use a 1st gen iPhone on att quick question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfan881, Dec 4, 2009.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Ive been using my dads old iPhone as a iPod touch for a few months now and it looks like my conrtact with my other phone is up, Im looking to switch to att and i was wodering if i sign up for the data plan will it be the old 20 bucks for edge or still charging 30? I really dont need to have 3G and Im mainly around wifi as well thats why im looking into that as a alternative. thanks for the help.:)

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

You will be eligible for $20 iPhone 200 SMS data plan.

3. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

Great thanks yeah the only time i would realy use data service is when im on my break at work or if im out and i dont really need anything that would require 3G speeds. otherwise im out i can be near wifi etc so if thats true its a much cheaper alternative at the moment for me till i can upgrade to the next gen iPhone.

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I'm not so sure about that. I thought I'd read that AT&T was no longer offering the $20 EDGE/200 SMS plan to anyone who did not have it before the iPhone 3G was released. I'll see if I can find where I saw that...

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It's still offered when activating through iTunes.

6. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

acording to this thread you can still do it the thread was made around this year

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-666714.html

I'm gonna stop by att tonight and get a deffinte answer on this and check to see if my phone contract is actually up cause my phone on VW site says ive been eliglble since 07 but i have goten a phone since then at best buy i wonder if best buy mesed up something on the uprgrading procedure if so that would be a win win for me :)

Edit: ah if thats the case than that will be good I would just need to get a new sim card then

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

We activated a 2G iPhone in iTunes and chose the $20 plan a few months ago. As long as there are working 2G iPhone, they will offer this plan.

It was the iPhone Pick a Plan that they stopped offering for those who failed the credit check.

8. hbenitez09 macrumors regular

if you have the original iphone then yes we can still get you on the 20 dollars edge data with 200 messages... Yes we no longer offer it but being it's an old device you can get grandfathered in... Source (I work for att)