Looking upgrade iMac (2006) and iBook (2004)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by themadrhino, May 1, 2010.

1. themadrhino macrumors newbie

I was planning to upgrade our family's computers to a new MBP 13 inch with a 320 HDD and a iMac 3.06 GHz base model.

I was going to do a the Apple financing of no interest for 18 months since the 13 inch MBP came out but after reading online that an iMac update may be out in the near future I am wondering if I should wait.

Would like advice on whether I should just buy the 2 computers now and not worry or should I wait for next iMac. We have five kids that are using the computers and iPhones/iPods and speed is what they want for web-based games. The iBook is fine for me doing Quicken, e-mail and normal stuff but is seizing up sometimes. Hard Drive space is biggest issue since iMac only has around 160 gig HDD.

Everything I have read I believe that these 2 computers will be fine. We hold computers for 5 years and so I am getting to end of life on the ones I have.

My wife has also been using a 2006 circa MacBook Pro 17 inch that I use for work and loves it. She thought the 13 inch MBP keyboard was smaller but I told her I believe they are the same.

Advice on buying now these two models would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would buy the 13" now or get a 15"refurb. That refurb has 9600M GT so it's a lot better for gaming though it doesn't help in Flash games but if they ever want to play anything more demanding, that's worth it.

I would wait for iMac update and then buy one, either old from refurb store or new one

3. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

Since you iMac is a bit newer, I would hold out for an update. As for the iBook, I would suggest either a refurb 15"/13" or a new 15"/13"(whatever fits your budget)

4. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I have the new 13" MBP and absolutely love it. Great machine, plenty fast, and the graphics are awesome - not top-tier for gaming, but it plays my (admittedly older) games perfectly fine at max res. with all options on (I play Bioshock and Age of Empires III, mostly).

5. themadrhino thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Hello All, thank you for your advice. If I can hold out on the iMac I will but I was looking to do the no interest same as cash for 18 months. I am definitely getting the 13" MBP.

Thank you

Mike