Looks like 800m series is not going to be Maxwell

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitedragon101, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

I guess this could put a Maxwell mobile chip somewhere around the Broadwell release (Q4 2014, Q1 2015). Would probably be an awesome combination

2. Hexaea macrumors member

Hexaea

3. leman macrumors 604

I don't think its reasonable to take one person's speculation and present it like a fact. I mean, he himself states 'my argument is based on the assumption that the TDP of the Maxwell counterparts would be significantly below that of Kepler/Fermi', and I honestly don't get that. Why should it be significantly below the TDP of the old cards? I would think that GPUs would rather have the same TDP and offer more performance instead. What would the purpose be in releasing new cards with lower TDP, which are barely faster than the old ones? For the majority of the consumer base, the 'your games now run twice as fast in the same sized laptop ' sounds much more attractive than 'you can now have 30 minutes more battery/and or a slightly thinner laptop that will run the game just as well as your old one'.

All in all, assuming that the leak is true, I don't see much logic behind a conclusion that the author of the article does. Its a conjecture based on a far-fetched assumption.

4. cirus macrumors 6502a

Guy is a moron.

Mobile cards have always had the same power requirements.

Should I say that the 480m was a ~100W card and so is the 780m so the 780m is first gen fermi?

The guy clearly has no clue what he is talking about. GM107 uses more power than GK 107 so maxwell would be less efficient by his logic.

5. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

6. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

This is the worst logic I've ever seen. The article is complete nonsense. Also, it is 95% guaranteed the 840M-860M is maxwell architecture on 28nm. You don't need to read some moron's article to think otherwise. Higher end maxwell cards are coming this summer with 20nm processing

The 2014 (or early 2015) 15" rMBP will either have the 850M (maxwell) with 30-35W TDP (much cooler, and much better efficiency) with a moderate performance increase. Or it'll have the 860M 40-45W TDP with huge performance increase, and still cooler then the current 750M.

Maxwell lowered TDP (power efficiency) by tremendous amounts. Right now the 750M has eh performance and runs at 45W TDP

7. whitedragon101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah... yeah.....
    I didn't quite read till the end. I read the first bit about having leaked info and the 880m being a kepler rebrand.

Could be good though. As you say if the leak is real and the TDPs are correct they have gone for big performance increases. Which would be very cool.

8. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Some of the higher end maxwell cards are pushing slightly higher performance than 140-160W cards, but at around 65W. Power per watt has increased significantly, but performance is a moderate increase. Not smashing any charts, but they're quite good overall. Maxwell is a very good refresh, without a doubt.