Looks like Apple Hates T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rockies, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Rockies macrumors 6502

None of our local carrier stores got any Iphone Plus phones. Called 5 local carrier stores yesterday, all indicating no Plus phones. Apple stores only had a handful of Iphone Plus phones available and if you were not 1-10 person in line, no plus phone for you. I know, we camped out at 3 AM at Apple Store.

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Well don't feel singled out, Apple hates all the carriers, they are just a necessary evil.

Apple Stores always going to get the best supply of constrained items on launch day, not a surprise, it's always been that way (but they also have the longest lines, so your best bet may still be some obscure place like Radio Shack or whatever).

3. EW800 macrumors 6502

I was at a Riverside County/Southern CA Verizon store this morning. They received a grand total of ZERO 6+ phones. Not a good supply in this market.

4. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

The Apple Store we went to had probably many hundreds of 6+. But of those they had ZERO t-mobile versions for walk-ins. Yes, zero. Seems pretty incredible.

5. Rockies thread starter macrumors 6502

Completely unacceptable!

6. mailboxbetacoin macrumors 6502

same as last year it sounds like.
    stayed in line all night last year for a T-Mobile 5S at the Apple Store, and didn't get any, did not repeat that mistake this year and ordered online, will get it on monday...

7. iphone6plus macrumors member

I dont think Apple hates T-Mobile.. I think its more like T-Mobile doesnt want to "pay to play"..

1. Apple Store app had no way of pre-ordering iPhone 6/6+ for TMobile (at least not on 9/12, not sure about now). But you could order for Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T

2. Apple.com only sells full priced T-Mobile phone, no T-Mobile EIP or JUMP integration. Unlike AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint (although Apple will happily offer you their Barclays financing for a full priced T-Mobile phone)

3. Apple drop ships iPhones for carriers (at least in the case of AT&T, probably the others). But T-Mobiles phones were all sent from China to Kentucky, then onto their final destinations.

T-Mobile should definitely re-evaluate their relationship with Apple. There's probably a very good reason why AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint choose to "play ball" with Apple rather they try to do it all themselves (and I'm sure T-Mobile knows that now after this launch)

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I think another major problem here was the worst kept secret in the world: that "T-Mobile contract free" really means "unlocked." Anyone who wanted an unlocked iPhone simply pre-ordered the T-Mobile version.

that alone meant supplies were going to be tight from the get-go. Probably most of the stock intended for T-Mobile stores was diverted to online presales.

The solution would've been for T-Mobile to insist their phones be locked like everyone else's, but I doubt customers would go for that, because that would mean there would be no way to purchase and unlocked phone at launch.

9. mailboxbetacoin macrumors 6502

They already knew that after the iPhone 5S launch, exact same problems as this year. TMO probably not willing to pay the same entry fees to be part of the launch events.
    Next year they'll be the #3 carrier, maybe things will change a little... or maybe not

----------

Apple just doesn't carry many TMO phones at launch, it's not the result of high demand, but rather limited supply.

I am guessing Apple have the carriers foot the bill to be part of the launch event; and TMO probably doesn't spend as much money in those events.
    5S launch was the same story...

10. libu macrumors member

libu

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

No problem with Sprint iPhone picking up for me today. Waited since 2PM on the 18th.

12. KPOM macrumors G5

If you are paying full price at the Apple Store, just get the AT&T or Verizon versions. Your T-Mobile SIM will work with them. No Verizon iPhones are locked, and full-priced AT&T versions are also unlocked. Just buy it "device only." Don't asked for an "unlocked" one since that will confuse the reps and they'll say they don't have them.

13. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

It's a nice perk to have it unlocked but that did make tmobile the scalpers top choice. In front of me was a group of a few college aged scalpers who were calculating/speculating on their profits in line before they even knew if theyd get a phone. They were all hoping for T-Mobile phones.

My Apple Store had hundreds of units left when I got there but 0 for T-Mobile by the time I got any word on inventory, no pluses and no regulars. Luckily the tmobile store had some 6's and I got mine.

14. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

As a T-Mobile customer, I have a feeling it is more on T-Mobile than Apple. Their support has been a disaster, their preorders have been a disaster, they didn't open at midnight for orders last week. Literally, it's all broken. I love their pricing / service / options, but man they're terrible for this kind of thing...

15. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah I think it's just T-mobile being cheap. They did have the iPhone 6 but seemed to be the only carrier without the 6 Plus in stock.

It's not just an iPhone thing either.Tmobile usually receives small quantities, late shipments, or no shipments of major phone launches. They've also been notorious for not carrying high capacity models in store too.

16. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

To be fair I heard bitching in line and online from many people about every carrier's problems. T-Mobile is the poor man's choice, so maybe they didn't wanna blow big bucks on the launch event and cut some corners, but I don't think it hurt them in the long run.

Oh, and Apple's site didn't launch at midnight PST either. ;)

17. AL? macrumors newbie

I went to two different T-mobile stores before 9am. They both told me that they had neither the 6 or 6+. They said they were waiting on UPS, but he would only be bringing 16gb iPhone 6. No 6+ in any capacity.

I drove to my nearest Apple store in Towson, MD. There were hundreds of people in line, and I was told by an Apple employee that it was going to be about a 6hr wait and no T-mobile jump. I got a cup of free Starbucks and walked to the T-mobile inside the mall.

iPhone 6 128gb, space gray. 2 left after me.

18. Tdredi macrumors newbie

i have a 128g 6+ that's for tmo, i.e. unlocked purchased from the apple store that was purchased at my local apple store.

if you have the $, i'm willing to negotiate...no low ballers, as i want to recover what i paid for the phone.

oct 3, this phone goes back to apple for a refund to my credit card. any takers?

19. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

I had A LOT of luck over the weekend on Saturday and Sunday night. T-Mobile iPhone 6 Plus phones were available in my area for store pickup for a while. They'd sell out of course, but still... check out this thread where someone has created some kind of alert to let you know when phones come in stock.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1784178&page=74

20. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Isn't it obvious that when a shopper goes to Apple store and the iPhone choices are $199up w/contract or $649 Tmo- that the most stocked are gonna be the subsidized 'less $ upfront' iPhones? That's what most people buy strangely. and it could be that Tmo has a lot more iPhone customers now too.

I'm supposed to get my Tmo 6 on 9-30, bought it on 9-21 at Tmo. Couldn't resist the $201 trade-in on an old iPhone 4. Someone I know ordered an ATT 6 and will be here sometime in mid Oct.

21. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Apple hates every company in the industry, it's normal.

22. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

Looks like Apple Hates T-Mobile

Yes, the way to get around the "no T-Mobile" iPhones available is to buy the Verizon model, which is GSM unlocked. Of course, this only works if you are paying in full upfront.

23. nealh macrumors 6502

How do you buy a full price AT&T iPhone 6. I can't get that option at Apple store full website (not iPhone app)

24. JuNxXxReY macrumors regular

Have to go in store. Can't pay full price online unless it's T-Mobile.

25. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

Just buy *any* phone full price. Insert t-mobile sim. Problem?