Looks like Dallas now has GSM850

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Natesac, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

YESSS!

I just got an email this morning from AT&T:

We’ve got great news for Dallas/Ft. Worth! We’ve nearly doubled your AT&T 3G wireless network’s capacity with a recent network upgrade! Our new upgrade improves your wireless experience by adding a higher quality wireless spectrum to our existing network.

What can you expect from this network upgrade?

• Better 3G connectivity and performance
    • Improved in-building coverage
    • Upgraded wireless experience

With these upgrades, you should have a better wireless experience with more capacity on our network and improved coverage inside your home and other buildings throughout the DFW area. Look for improved coverage in area communities like Allen, Arlington, Carrollton, Colleyville, Dallas, Denton, Ft. Worth, Frisco, Garland, Grapevine, Grand Prairie, Irving, Keller, Mesquite, McKinney, Lewisville, Plano, Richardson, Rockwall, Southlake and more. We updated nearly 1,000 cell sites in these areas!

The fastest gets faster!
    AT&T has the fastest network in Dallas/Ft. Worth* and we’re excited to announce that Dallas will be among the first 6 major U.S. cities in which AT&T plans to upgrade its existing 3G technology to HSPA 7.2.** This new upgrade will provide considerably faster mobile broadband speeds, and we plan to make it available by the end of the year.

We hope that you’re as excited as we are about our network improvements and we thank you for choosing AT&T. You’ve made the right choice!

Sincerely,

Adam Vital, Vice President/General Manager, AT&T North Texas

2. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Definitely good news. I didn't get an e-mail about it, but I would imagine they've also updated NYC and San Francisco area networks, as well, since both cities have had reports of poor service.

3. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I live in a Dallas suburb about 15 minutes from Downtown. The coverage has always been good around my town.

But if you head downtown you are in iPhoneville, the towers get really saturated.

I am very happy about this. I can't wait for the 7.2 rolling out over the next 2 months.

It didn't say what the other 6 cities are. I would have to guess NYC and a few big cities in California are on that list. See podacasters and bloggers complaining about how bad it is out in Cali.

I have never really had to many complaints about the coverage in North Texas. Downtown Dallas can get bad sometimes, but the general DFW area has been fairly reliable.

4. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I live up north in Plano but work downtown. I haven't received any emails yet, but I've never had a problem with reception of 3G either. Wonder if I could get a before and after.

5. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

6. TonyL08 macrumors regular

I got the email too, but haven't noticed any difference. I was hoping it would clear up the call quality, which always breaks up after a minute or so of talking no matter where I am.

7. outphase macrumors 65816

My billing address is in Plano, and one of the members of my family plan has received the email. Incidentally, it wasn't the primary account holder.

8. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

One has to have the 3Gs to take advantage of the speed bump, correct? And, will/is there any new icon indicating when one is getting the speed? Like going from Edge to 3G.

Thanks

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Haven't gotten the e-mail. Then again, I've gotten plenty of good service--except in the basement where I work. If I finally manage to get a decent signal down there, that'd be amazing.

10. scotland007 macrumors regular

Houston is also rolling out the 7.2 service this year. I guess it's useful that AT&T with it's HQ in Texas is looking after it's own first. The other cities are:

Charlotte, Chicago, Los Angeles and Miami

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The 850 MHz spectrum is only used for UMTS data. 3G phones don't use the same frequencies for data and voice anyway, so nothing done to data service will affect voice service.

12. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

13. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

No...both the iPhone 3G and 3GS support 850mhz UMTS(3G). Your thinking of HSDPA 7.2 that got included in the 3GS. AT&T has had 850 spectrum since the start but they used it mostly for EDGE. 1900 provides for more capacity but has trouble going through buildings and 850 has less capcity but better range and goes through buildings better. Generally a mix of both makes for a solid service in urban areas

-Nate