Looks like i damaged my MBP, the screen wont lock.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kwfl, Apr 15, 2008.

1. kwfl macrumors 6502

hello everyone,
    i have got a MBP, 2,4GHz
    today i decided to replace my internal HD myself. I didnt really read about the Torx screws so i went through it, i was luck to get the first two torx screws out by a normal philips screw. however i couldnt get the hard drive out because its screws where torx and the normal screws didnt help..

anyway, that is not a problem. i put everything together. However the screen wont lock now unless i press really hard on it. When i try to release it, i can hear some serious friction going on. It is also hard to push the bit in the front to open the lid?

any help please?:confused:

EDIT:
    trying to remove the battery, it wont come out. i slide the latches but it does not pop up.

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

Grab your take-apart manual and disassemble the machine again. Something may not have lined up quite right during reassembly. Make sure the tabs on the top case/keyboard assembly are fit properly -- especially on the left side of the palm rest. The metal tabs on that side bend easily and might be preventing the case from fitting together properly.

Oh, and get the proper tools!

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yeah, it would help much.. you'll need

Philips #0
    Torx #T6

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My kind of does the same thing, except now the sides don't stick up anymore.

5. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

when that moment comes, i will break it:mad:

6. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

i went to a local store and these stuff are difficult to find. :(

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

try ebay... chances are someone will be selling them.
    alternatively.. goto a mobile phone service centre, the T6 are used on 99% of mobiles - perhaps ask them where they buy from? might help...

8. cavebob macrumors member

You might wanna also double check that you didnt put the wrong screws in where the battery bay is. I did an install on my friends MBP and accidently put longer screw in there and as a result her latch button thing doesnt go in as afar as it should. Mind you it still open though. I told her to deal with it coz it was a free install (her applecare ran out hehe)

9. Blubbert macrumors 6502

The phillips #0 can be found in a set of small screwdrivers, also i think those repair kits for glasses come with them. As for the Torx T6, well, that is an easy one. Go to sears, find the screwdrivers section, it should be in there somewhere. The only one i had trouble finding was the T5. Those were impossible to find, the T6 are relatively common in comparison.

10. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

that is a very possible explanantion, i actually, now, remember it was difficult to screw in those two bolts :mad:

thanks everyone, i will try repair it.

11. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

The battery wont come out.
    when i slide these sliders in the back, it wont lift up. :(

today is a nightmare to me. i have this and some really bad news from school.:mad:

12. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

You can find them at Sears. That is where I got mine. :)

13. Crossbone macrumors regular

14. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

well,
    i am from UK

the real thing now is that the battery wont come out. :confused:

15. eyespii macrumors 6502

I would definitely try to put it back together again. Also, there are 5 screws in the battery bay compartment - three for the RAM cover and two along the front edge right underneath the trackpad. The two screws under the trackpad are slightly longer than the three holding down the ram cover, but otherwise look exactly the same. Make sure you've put the correct screws into these two holes, and make sure that they're completely in and tight. That should help with the screen lock problem.

16. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

i wish i can get to that stage and correct it. However, the battery wont come out!

17. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

An approach that might work for you is to use some duct tape on the battery with some of the tape "pinched up" in the middle - then give it a tug. I would try that before trying to pry it up. Have someone hold the sliders and you do the tug.

18. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks i will try this. The MBP is only 6 Months old :(

19. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

i have called apple and they said take to an apple retail centre or premium seller.

i am taking it to a premium seller to see what they can do.

20. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I know this one works for most stuck battery issues.

21. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

i sent the MBP to apple and they said the problem was that i didnt put the RAM cover properly and got the battery stuck.

for the screen, the problem was that i didnt push the keyboard containing cover really hard at the edges and caused the latches not to work. The chap at KRCS pushed it really hard and it worked.

He said i have to pay £50 if to replace the hard drive. It costed me £3.79 to buy the torx screw online and an hour to replace the hard drive.
    i saved £46 and saved myself without a MBP for 2 weeks.

thanks people for your help.

22. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

and the WD scorpio is damn fast, at least according to xbench.