Looks like my 2011 MacBook Pro bit the dust.. Need help backing up in singleuser mode

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by opq, Nov 15, 2014.

1. opq macrumors member

Hey folks, looks like my Late 2011 MacBook Pro bit the dust. While I was using it, music playing and all, it froze in an endless loop and now when I restart, after typing the FileVault password and a progress bar, the MacBook stays on a an empty gray screen. If I connect am external display everything on that is garbled, so I guess it's the infamous GPU fiasco.

My immediate thing is, my Time Machinr backup is 12 days old and I'd like to ideally do one final backup. The only thing that works is Single User mode. However, I can't seem to get tmutil to work. Would anyone mind giving me some guidance? I can't even figure out how to mount an external drive...

So much for spending $2400+ 3 years ago (SSD and screen upgrade, taxes)

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Do you have access to another Mac?

Granted, the process I describe will be slow, but I think it can work if nothing else does (particularly if the problems you're experiencing are GPU-related and are not drive-related):

1. Take the internal drive OUT OF the MacBook. You'll need the proper tools and you should check the drive replacement guide at ifixit.com for instructions. Aside: if the 2011 MB Pro models are similar in design to the 2010 models, this is an easy procedure.

2. Put the drive into a USB3/SATA dock, and connect it to another Mac. A dock will cost you about $25 and is a VERY useful piece of equipment to have around. Here's one (no financial interest):
    http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Free-Ina...157339&sr=8-1&keywords=inateck+usb3+sata+dock

3. If the drive is ok, it should "mount right up" on the desktop and you can then access it. I have never once used Time Machine so I can only guess that at this point you can connect your backup drive and update the backup. Others will correct me if this is not the case.

4. What -I- would do is:
    - See if you can do a "test boot" from the docked drive using the other Mac
    - If it boots, use CarbonCopyCloner to create a clone of the drive onto another drive.
    - Now you can put the drive back into the MBPro, or do whatever you wish with it...

3. opq thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply!

I took it to an Apple Store and looks like I am also affected by the 2011 MacBook Pro issue that turned into a class action lawsuit. Interestingly enough that's how it manifests itself (I didn't see any corrupt graphics on my screen)

4. enklined macrumors 6502

Did they charge you to fix it?

I was just hit with this a couple of days ago. They want $310, no matter how much I argue I shouldnt have to pay because of their faulty work.

5. opq thread starter macrumors member

Yep, no reason for them not to charge it. They're really good about denying knowledge about any class action lawsuit or even that lots of people are experiencing this!

I got my machine back a week later, and in less than a month, the same issue again. Had to bring it in and waiting for yet another repair.

Last time, they replaced my logic board. Receipt says parts are new or refurbished, though I argued with the store manager who insisted the parts are not refurbs. Wonder if I should believe the piece of paper or what.

6. opq thread starter macrumors member

Well, I went in to pick up my repair for a second time and noticed on the repair slip they replaced the SSD! I was pretty upset, because not only was everything working when I last saw the machine, I had asked the senior manager to ensure I was notified prior to the drive being replaced! I'm pretty mad, I'll have to figure out how to restore from the backup.

The explanation on the slip was that the drive didn't mount. Gee, I wonder if it could have been because it was FileVaulted??

7. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

Especially if they were going to bill you, they should have never replaced the SSD.

At this point, the boards are all going to be refurbished. "bad" boards are sent back, the failed parts swapped out and then it's reset and sent out for another repair. I highly doubt Apple is building any more NEW boards, the CPU and GPU are likely out of production by now.