Looks like new Mac Airs really coming

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kiteflyer, Jun 6, 2012.

1. kiteflyer macrumors newbie

Until I saw that Australian price list showing the new Macs I really had my doubts about new Airs coming this soon. I held off on buying the current Mac Air to save money but it looks like I will not be saving it much longer. I have the 2010 13 inch ultimate but I really want the 11 inch baby for travel, etc. I saw that techbargains or bensbargains showed a 512 GB drive for sale for $400 so I hope that size SSD is an option since I use both Mac and Windows. More Ram would be helpful to run emulation software and I sure hope USB 3 will be included but I read they might save that for the Mac Pro laptops.

2. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

It's really stupid if they put USB 3.0 in the MBP and not MBA. I honestly can't see them doing this. Then again they did put FaceTime HD cameras in Feb 2011 MBP but July 2011 MBA used VGA, so it's possible.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

USB 3.0 should be a given since it's native to the motherboard (Ivy Bridge) what is equally going to be a nice jump is HD4000 graphics which bring the first Intel Graphics that have explicit support for OpenCL.

4. dkersten macrumors 6502a

All I hope for in a new Air is a little more battery life, especially on the 11in. Even if its only by an hour or so I'd be more than satisfied

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If refresh MacBook Air is anything like the current MacBook Air, it will use the blade style SSDs. Which means you'll only have a couple options:
    1) Buy the computer with the largest SSD install that you can afford;
    2) Buy the only third-party alternative: the OWC Mercury Aura 6G; their largest drive is 480GB for $800.

6. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

It'll be there. Like someone else said, it's built into Ivy Bridge.

And I agree, the MBA not having HD FaceTime was disappointing, but wasn't it a size limitation of the lid? They'd probably have to go with a smaller camera to shove one into the MBA. I think we'll see it this year though.

7. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

128GB is enough for me. I currently have 256GB and am not even using half of that. Hopefully a 4GB, 128GB is in the future for me. Putting my old 2010 up later this week for sale.

8. DarthMoops macrumors regular

They might see it as one port too many for the Air.

9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

They won't be additional.

10. Makman8 macrumors member

Makman8

He might be able to cannibalize a broken macbook air with the SSD drive in it.

Or find a used part taken out online.