Looks like no new MBP in the WWDC 08?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hohohong, Jun 9, 2008.

1. hohohong macrumors 6502

Seems like no mentioning of MBP redesign or upgrade in the rumour section,...

So nothing new for MBP?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

at a developers conference?

3. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

gee let me just check.... uh yeh nothing new.

how about you wait an hour.

LOCK ME.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. WWDC
    2. If you'd read ANYTHING recently, you'd know there's nothing to update to.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

1. There was an update earlier this year
    2. There's no new processors to update to quite yet.

Nobody who's been paying attention is expecting new MBPs just yet...:rolleyes:

6. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

I was hoping for a redesign or Montevina chip.... to go with the free iPod promo

7. johngardiner macrumors regular

to me, it seems unlikely that apple would begin a promotion like the free ipod one, a week prior to a new laptop coming out. I suspect that there would be a lot of angry people who bought a macbook pro last week if a new one came out.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Isn't that what everyone wants?

So I would see a lot of jolly people who got use both the old and the new mac.

9. greekpaz22 macrumors regular

not a chance of a new mbp today..

check out the other threads dedicated to this..earliest its happening is august-october..

but in the meantime...enjoy the iPhone madness :D

10. lhotka macrumors regular

The iPhone madness that applies to less than 25% of the total market (only those willing to put up with AT&T).

No wonder the stock is dropping like a rock. If there's three piers to apple - where the heck are the other two (and the big $ one in particular)?

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Surely you're not talking about Apple stock are you? It's down 2.56% right now and you cal that dropping like a rocket? Dramatic a bit aren't ya?

12. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

My guess is a redesign will happen for the MBP next year if it happens at all

I can see incremental features late this year

If you look at laptop designs between PC's and Mac, MBP's while simple, have a very nice overall design and package. To me it may be a 5 year old design but a bit timeless.

The reason I say this, is that Mac isn't trying to reel in new purchases from current Mac owners, but is trying to expand their business by cutting into the Home PC market. In this arena, Mac notebooks really are much smaller, lighter and nicer designed than PC's. In essence they are trying to get a home PC user who typically would spend $800-1500 to spend a bit more and get a Mac

In fact, as far as I can tell the MB Air is a design fork from the MBP.

The big announcement will be the upgrades to the regular MB's. I could possibly see the inclusion of a higher end MB model to fill a hole between MB and MBP's ($1500-1600). Possibly one with discrete graphics.

13. lhotka macrumors regular

Down 3.6% actually. And considering that the market was expecting a bump up, it's a significant difference.

In other words - the market is yawning about all this. Until Apple drops the AT&T exclusive, there's only so much growth that this product line can have. Once that contract is up though, we should see a big bump (assuming they build one for the non-GSM networks) in stock price. I suspect that the next rev of the MBP will also bump the price.

The bulk of Apple's revenue is from the Mac, and we've not heard a mention of it today (well, a note that 10.6 will be shown this afternoon), but nothing on hardware at all. Apple clearly is moving away from their core business (not just diversifying).

14. johnsy macrumors 6502

No, nothing new, everything is cool as it is, except price. I want MBP for $1.5 K (including Apple care), not +$2K.

In any case there is my wish list by importance:
    1 reduced price
    2 reduced weight.
    3 longer battery life
    4 quality improvements
    5 option to upgrade hard drive (in a way, similar to macbook)

15. lhotka macrumors regular

I expect it'll bump a bit now that GPS and 3G are included, but it still is a very limited market because of the AT&T deal.

It's a nice toy for those who are willing to put up with AT&T.

16. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

Perhaps...

... a new redesign for the MB & MBP in Sept School return or X-Mas season. Disappointed, but not surprised.:apple:

17. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

Disappointed,....

Sign,..... maybe August?

I hope for an update before the back to school promo ends,....

18. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

NO

NO

NO

alright people pay attention

why would they redesign before nehalem? nehalem will have completely different logic boards because the memory controller will be on the cpu, and the CPU will be slightly larger (at least based on the sample anandtech has)

that will be the time to redesign the case, not now when a major hardware change is coming in 9-12 months

and why would apple waste time at a keynote to demo a piece of hardware thats only change is the chipset which makes it what? 1% faster?

come on guys lets use some common sense

19. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

I find it interesting that now that there wasn't an update everyone is saying, "oh yeah, of course there isn't gonna be an update. Obvious, duh!"

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

21. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'm waiting until WWDC is officially over, on Wednesday, that way I'm sure Steve won't be rounding up the event and just as you think its over, showing off the new MBP, which was on stage the whole time, making everyone clap and cheer as the specs come up on screen.

You know, its £1,500. I dont want it updated in a week :p

22. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

I find that a very weak excuse. Apple has released Pro hardware at WWDC before. Who uses pro hardware? Developers perhaps?

23. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

No kidding

It's $2000 for me, but I'm making the same call. As soon as WWDC is over, though, MBP here I come...

24. szark macrumors 68030

szark

WWDC ends on Friday. Just sayin' ;)

(I don't think there will be any updates until Nehalem is released.)

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd say the updates will come in August, because SR came in August '07.