Looks like no rumored AppleTV updates

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mychetboy, Jan 20, 2010.

1. mychetboy macrumors newbie

Looks like no analysts are expecting or have received "leaks" about Apple TV updates. It should would be sweet to see an upgraded ATV with ARM Cortext A9 in it and iTunes announcing 1080i/p movies and TV shows available! Maybe 2011 will be the year of the ATV!

2. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Hate to say it but I think it's dead I see iTunes apps for things like the boxee box etc but just a dedicated apple device no.

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Just my two cents as a non ATV owner,

ATV is not really a "hot item" for Apple like iPods and Macbooks are. They really can't do much besides spec increases to make it run iTunes HD stuff. I think if anything, it will have about 4 minutes devoted to it at the 27th event or they will just update it quietly on the online store like they did for the previous white macbook spec increase.

4. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

People still buy/care about the appletv?

I thought everyone gave up and bought mac mini's? That's what I did...

5. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Apparently. Mini is a totally different experience.

6. TheSeagull macrumors member

Well I'm still holding out until the 27th on buying one, I'm hoping for a 250GB version...

7. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Let's hope a 1080p version with a few of the other most desired enhancements will be the "one more thing...".

But if it is, I think it might steal the show. I can see millions having a hunger for a great (cheap) box to hook to their new HDTVs. I have a harder time seeing millions deciding they need a (my guess) $799 device that is mostly a big iPhone/iPod.

I believe :apple:TV 1080 would have been THE hot product this past Christmas. If only Apple had decided to summon up the will to fully take that market.

8. jersey10 macrumors regular

You don't really need to wait for that capability - just get ATV Flash or one of the similar free programs and you'll be able to hook up whatever size hard drive you want to it and store all your movies, TV shows, music, etc. on that, with no need for streaming. I currently have a 1 TB drive hooked up to my AppleTV and it works flawlessly.

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

This event is already going to be full as it is. The Tablet is going to dominate most of the keynote with a brief preview of iPhone OS 4.0 and an iLife ’10 shipping announcement.

I wouldn’t expect anything else. Apple TV is Apple’s only living room device. It’s not going anywhere.

According to several analysts, Apple has sold roughly 6.6 million Apple TVs. For reference, Roku ($99 Netflix box) had sold 300,000 units in March ’09 with an estimated less than 1 million units sold by the end of the ’09 (and that’s very optimistic, most analysts put it far under).

People like to hype up the Boxee Box, Roku, Popcorn Hour, Pop Box and other competitors. However, no one has figured out how to dominate this space yet.

The fact that Apple’s sold 6.6 million Apple TVs is nothing to sneeze at considering the limitations of the device and the fact that Internet-connected set-top boxes are a relatively small (not to mention temporary) market.

I hope a major hardware update comes this year. Maybe PA Semi will have something to offer by September’s annual iTunes event.

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It didn't rain donuts today either.

11. iscripter macrumors member

iscripter

I too have been patiently waiting for a updated AppleTV. But I am starting to think it is not going to happen. If Apple were to open up the AppleTV and have a API for the device similar to the iPhone. You wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves. Just think if you could legally download and install a Boxee app for the AppleTV. Without having to hack the device :eek:

I have recently bought a Sony BDP-N460 Blu-ray player which has a ton of internet video channels on it. With Netflix, YouTube, Amazon VideoOnDemand, Blip.TV, Slacker and NPR it satisfies 90% of my internet streaming needs. Apple seriously needs to update the AppleTV. With that new Boxee box announced at CES I don't know if anyone is going to want one anymore.

12. hpereyda macrumors newbie

Buy a 40GB Apple TV off ebay or craigslist. Use ATVCloner to upgrade the hard drive to a 250-320Gb PATA hard drive. It will be cheaper that way.

13. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I want an Apple TV update more than anything else from Apple. Sorry to say, but I do not think it is coming yet.

14. wrothmann macrumors newbie

May be it is not as dead as we think

I don't know how the package looks like in the USA but: In germany the package was and is black - but yesterday I saw an (only one) AppleTV box in a white package with a OS 3.0 picture at the backside (so it is definitely an actual package). On the websites is still the old package pictured (at the bottom: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv?mco=MTAyNTQzMjU).

And the most interesting thing: while there is no Hard drive declaration at the old box - in the center of the new front you can read "160 GB" . ... Niklas Luhmann (german philosopher) would say: you only have to give sth. a name, when you want to make a difference ... may be, may be we are lucky next week

Watch the pictures (made in German "MediaMarkt", yesterday)

Attached Files: