Looks like the new LG panels, SJA2 also have ghosting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPersian, May 9, 2013.

1. iPersian macrumors regular

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

How does this poster know the monitor they're using?

He's guessing. Might not even be the one.

It might rain gold tomorrow!

3. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

It says SJA2 in the second screenshot.

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

By they're I meant Apple themselves. Not the monitor the poster was using. He may know the model of what he's holding, but what I'm saying is how does he know it's the one Apple is using.

5. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

No offense intended but you already have 100+ posts on this one topic since October of last year. Maybe it's time to move onto another topic (or another PC) ?

6. iPersian thread starter macrumors regular

No offence but if you cant handle it go to a different forum and act like a troll over there.

ot dont read it. for a lot of people with IR/ghosting problems this is an important issue that should not be ignored.

7. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Looks like the new LG panels, SJA2 also have ghosting

Sorry but I feel like I contribute a bit more than you do (or least I talk about more than one thing for 100 posts), so I think I'll stick around, thanks.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The photos are of a retina MBP with that model panel. Do you mean whether Apple is still using these panels in new units? Clearly Apple used that panel in that Macbook Pro.

9. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Considering we already know the current ones have IR judging by all the posts here it only made sense to me that the OP was talking about the new ones.

So in that case how would someone know for sure what model panel they will be using? The guy in the post was only guessing.

If the OP meant the current gen still has IR... well no duh, no one can argue with that. It's a known problem.

10. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The guy in the post has a Retina MBP with the SJA2 panel, or at least he seems to be claiming to. As I understand it these panels have been showing up in Retina MBPs over the last couple of months, so it isn't odd that he would have one.

11. ColdCase, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

All IPS panels ghost under the right conditions, regardless of make or model. I can't tell what kind of test was used and how long the ghost was present.

Not that I'm skeptical of internet tabloid humor, but independent verification would be nice.

My rMBP 15 LG SA2 is 7 weeks old today and heavily used. Not a sign of IR yet. Of course there seems to be plenty of SA1s out there without an issue.

Its a beautiful screen, great color accuracy and clarity.

12. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

My former 2.6 rMBP had the SJA1 panel and no ghosting, but didnt want the risk so sold it and bought a Samsung equipped rMBP. Better safe than sorry.

13. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

How long did you keep the first one with the SJA1 before exchanging it?

14. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

I have never experienced ghosting like I did on a rMBP and I have a few devices with IPS displays. There is something wrong with the displays Apple is using.

15. ColdCase macrumors 68030

The question is "has the IR performance improved in rev SA2 panels".

There is no question some SA1s left the factory with lower IR performance than a reasonable man would deem acceptable, especially early on. Most built seemed to have acceptable IR performance.

Just saying that I can make the samsung panel ghost if I try, and someone could make the SA2 panel ghost or appear to ghost too. But is the IR performance acceptable is another question (all IPS will IR at some point, even our $2000 pro monitor).

16. Exana macrumors regular

My first Retina only shows IR after 6 month ! :eek: Before, it was perfect and I know what is IR and was checking at least once a month. When it truns on, no need to do some testings, it was easy to see. :mad:

17. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

It had like 6 months since sold, but with me like 3 months

18. maxosx macrumors 68020

So far the ones we have received at the office, have been fine. Perhaps it's just some of the units.

19. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

how did you request a samsung one?

----------

even the samsungs can ghost?

20. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Really? What are those conditions?

I am using my old 2008 MBP with Dell UltraSharp IPS 2412M, but still couldn't figure out how to ghost it... :rolleyes:

21. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I bought an used rMBP with a Samsung screen. My understanding is Samsung screens are not prone to ghosting, mine is perfect so far.

22. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

did you notice a difference in the colors, especialyl white between the lg vs ur samsung?

23. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

The Samsung had a slight yellowish screen color, but with the profiles shared hereby others corrected it and now the color is pretty much like the LG.

24. nickbarbs macrumors regular

god this issue again.. I went through hell getting my screens swapped and the samsungs don't have as popping colors or white whites. I know my panel has ghosting in tests but i never see it day to day once, zero issues.

Will give me an excuse to get a new top lid before my warranty runs out but i was pleased when they finally replaced my new unit and i got one with LG again, much nicer screen.

25. klover macrumors 6502a

I don't think one can make any authorative statements about these screens (and their properties); there's just too many production variables.

For instance, I had an LG that didn't ghost under severe conditions (i.e, black/white checkerboard image up for hour+) but did have the washed out colors and yellow tint I was told to expect with Samsung panels. Conversely, the Samsung (LSN) panel I finally ended up with had perfect whites without a hint of yellow hue and the colors were noticeably deeper and richer, almost as if the panel itself had a high % color gamut. It, like the LG, had no IPS retention issue.

In both cases, these screens were the exact opposite of what I was told I should expect.

It's a lottery. Either you keep playing and accept what you've got.