Looks like we didnt need the jailbreak after all:)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jay81, Oct 17, 2007.

1. recover82 macrumors member

recover82

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

If you are willing to pay for the Apps.

Depends on the pricing though. I can't see paying $20 for a Notes app. But, I guess you'll get upgrades and support, not to mention not having to hack your Touch.

I would've gone with a Touch and a basic cell phone. I'm so paranoid about updating my unlocked iPhone...

3. Gerard. macrumors member

It was just a matter of time before this happened.

4. jay81 thread starter macrumors member

i might return my LG ENV and just get a basic piece of $# cellphone. My Ipod Touch is my life now

5. negatv1 macrumors 6502

But since the jailbreak was released, many will have been using 3rd party apps for 4 months by the time the SDK is released. Good to hear, nonetheless.

6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

LOL, I was nervous until I read the last P.S. line...

I doubt a simple Notes app will cost $20, I think the pricing will be reasonable. Or if there was a Notes app that costs $20, it would have a lot more functionality that the iPhone Notes app.

Great news though! Whether you stay with Jailbreak or not, it gives all owners more options.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yea, my life is a 1.0.2 iPhone.

These OS X Touch devices are *incredibly* awesome.

I see people go into the store and look at the Sansas, then the Zunes, then are awestruck at the iPod Touches.... same with the Smartphones (people looking at my iPhone compared to their friend's Blackberries).

8. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Do the SDKs cost $$$? I had expected all the 3rd-party developers would just port their existing apps to the "official" framework as free/shareware...but maybe not.

9. fdmendez macrumors member

if the SDK doesn't allow for a relatively easy way to distribute, create, and install free/open source apps, i can see the hacking community stsying well and alive... Also, im sure there'll be an eventual movement to install linux and thus a respective library of linux ipot/iphone linux apps

10. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

First off, some of the comments lead me to believe that people thing the SDK are the third party apps.... The SDK is an open framework for developers to DEVELOP new apps.

Second, correct me if Im wrong, but I see no mention of a pay scheme anywhere in Steve's leter. General, its up to the person developing a program to be able to demand pay or not.

My guess is we wont see much new other than easier development and a more stable developing environment (this applies to all that have a hacked touch). It is good news nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how Apple intends to get there cut of all this. To be honest I dont see how it could be much better than what I have already and I seriously doubt they will go as far as to undercut what could be Newton release in the near future. Unless they have scrapped that project for the sake of their reputation (which I hope is the case!... though i do want a newton).

Thoughts on this?
    Arisian

11. canonwire macrumors member

canonwire

This is awesome news anyway you cut it! And I'm sure there will be some freeware apps out there! BRAVO! :)

12. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Free Jailbreak > Paying for apps.

This is only gonna pay off once a sick firmware update comes out.

13. codingmonkey macrumors member

I think this is really great. I hope the SDK is free and thus allows for the continued development of Open Source iPod Touch software. I think Apple doesn't really need a cut from this at all. The fact that the iPhone and iPod touch will allow third party apps will only increase their popularity and allow the devices to take over the PDA market as well as their respective markets.

I'm now thinking of holding off until February to see how this ends up being implemented. I don't want to buy an iPod touch and then get raped by Apple...

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

Same thought here.

Apple requiring a developer to pay for a digital signature that can be used to trackback their code doesn't mean that every 3rd party application will cost money.

RIM does the same thing for BlackBerry applications (require a digital signature) and there's a boatload of BB applications that are available for free.

15. jay81 thread starter macrumors member

so much for the theory that Apple dosent want Ipod Touch to cut into Iphone sales. I think there is enough for everyone to benefit

16. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I reckon we'll get a better selection of apps from the jail break, unless apple makes an apps section like the podcast selection, eg open to everyone to submit.

17. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Again - will the SDKs be free or cost $$$? That will significantly impact whether the apps are free or not.

18. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I can imagine "Free Apps" and if you want expanded functionality, pay. iTunes does give away free music, video, TV shows, and games!

19. uburoibob macrumors regular

Yeah, paying for someone else's hard work is just reprehensible.

:rolleyes:

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

It didn't say.

Apple currently offers a lot of free SDKs:
    http://developer.apple.com/sdk/

The digital signature will probably cost money. RIM charges BlackBerry developers $100.

21. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

I bet the percentage of touch owners that hacked theirs is less than 5%.

22. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Obviously, a great app deserves payment. But $20 for an App Apple already has on the iPhone? $4.99 would be better. :mad:

23. aft macrumors regular

I was thinking the exact same thing with my cell phone except I have the old brick PPC-6700, I can already feel the extra pocket room :)