Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2006
hi there everyone i don't know if this in in the right section but i'm having trouble, i am having very long start up times about 4.5 minutes which is quite long any ideas??

Regards

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
try running OnyX and make sure it empties font caches. i don't know exactly why but that is a big cause in start up slow downs from what i understand. OnyX is always a good first line treatment for these sorts of thing. Disk Utility is another option and it's built in already (in applications > utilities > disk utility) repair permissions and or repair disk. it seems to be an innocuous cure for a lot of little issues.

a couple thoughts. :)

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Duge said:
hi there everyone i don't know if this in in the right section but i'm having trouble, i am having very long start up times about 4.5 minutes which is quite long any ideas??

You are unlikely to get any useful suggestions since you have not given any information that could help diagnose the problem.

Which model? What is the CPU speed? How much memory? Which version of OS X? What did you do to the computer immediatly before the problem stated? Have you booted showing the console messages? Were there any errors? What happens when you boot into safe mode?

Duge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2006
running a powerbook g4 512 ram os x panther

no errors or anything

no haven't tried safe mode

Regards

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
You don't have it set to mount anything on an unaccessible network, do you?

How does that 4.5 minutes break down - are you talking 4.5 minutes until you see a login prompt, or until the PB is fully booted into your account, or what?

Duge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2006
the i'm counting from there the little dial is turning around from where i can use the computer

hey if i had my wifi out of range and i can't access it at the time of boot up would that cause it???

musiclover137

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2005
mrichmon said:
You are unlikely to get any useful suggestions since you have not given any information that could help diagnose the problem.

Which model? What is the CPU speed? How much memory? Which version of OS X? What did you do to the computer immediatly before the problem stated? Have you booted showing the console messages? Were there any errors? What happens when you boot into safe mode?
I'm pretty sure there's a nice way to say that. Go easy on him, jeez

Duge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2006
turns out it's the hard drive took it into the apple store and they diagnosed the HDD so they replacing it under warranty

phew. only a couple days left on the warranty :)

thanks for your help guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.